[Eril-l] OA articles and AI LLMs

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Oct 17 10:11:32 PDT 2024

Hi Simon,

I think there are (at least) two questions in play:

  1.  Is it legally and ethically OK to use OA content for LLMs?
I won’t attempt to answer but I look forward to responses from others!
  2.  Is it OK to use subscription databases/packages to harvest OA articles for use in a LLM.
Because licenses typically prohibit systematically downloading content, my sense is that you would need to make sure that text and data mining is allowed before starting a large-scale project that relies on subscription databases/packages.

Athena
Athena Hoeppner (she/her/hers)
Interim Associate Dean, Collection Services and Resource Management
Discovery Services Librarian | University Librarian
University of Central Florida | athena at ucf.edu<mailto:athena at ucf.edu>
Schedule Appointment<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/e7ed510b338643a092fb237960b6be17@ucf.edu/meetingtype/V46-JYn9vEWmqVPIUyuevA2?anonymous>