[Eril-l] NISO June events

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue May 14 07:35:20 PDT 2024

**Apologies for cross posting**

There’s a lot happening at NISO in June! Next month features the launch of
our virtual training course on DEIA in scholarly publishing
<https://niso.org/events/deia-scholarly-landscape-2024-niso-training-series>,
an update on what’s happening with ISO TC46
<https://niso.org/events/2024/06/opentelecon-tc46>, and a roundtable
webinar on ensuring trust and research integrity
<https://niso.org/events/ensuring-trust-scholarly-record-how-libraries-and-publishers-support-research-integrity>
in scholarly communications. Our virtual annual members meeting
<https://niso.org/events/niso-2024-annual-members-meeting>, which provides
an update on NISO’s strategic goals and standards projects, also takes
place in June. Finally, if you’re attending ALA’s annual conference in San
Diego at the end of the month, you can engage with NISO in person
<https://niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024> at one of several sessions
we’re hosting.

NISO TRAINING SERIES—DISCOUNTS FOR NISO MEMBERS AND GROUPS

DEIA in the Scholarly Landscape
<https://www.niso.org/events/deia-scholarly-landscape-2024-niso-training-series>

Thursdays, 11:00 am–12:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)

June 6–August 1, 2024

This training series is designed for individuals at all stages of their
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) journey. It will
cover topics such as expanding representation in scholarly communications,
understanding the risks and opportunities of artificial intelligence (AI)
as it relates to DEIA, implementing standards and processes in the industry
to promote equity, and taking steps to address past harms and deconstruct
inequitable systems. Attendees will emerge from the course with insights
from established professionals in their field, an expanded network of peers
with a shared commitment to DEIA, and actionable steps to advance DEIA
within their organizations.

Training Facilitators: Steph Pollock, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Lead, American Psychological Association’s Journals Program, and Damita Snow,
Director of Accessibility and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategy,
Standards and Publications, American Society of Civil Engineers

(Disclaimer: Steph is serving as co-facilitator of this training series in
an individual capacity, not affiliated with her role at the American
Psychological Association. The views expressed in this series are her own
and do not represent the official views of the American Psychological
Association.)

Guest Speakers include Atinuke Adediran (Fordham University), Cristina
Bartolomei (American Chemical Society), Rebecca Benner (SSP Early-Career
Committee Co-Chair), Carlos Cardenas (NBCRNA), Samantha Evans
(International Association of Accessibility Professionals), Racquel
Jemison (American
Chemical Society), Shaina Lange (American Society of Nephrology and C4DISC
DEIA Committee Co-Chair), Monica Dillingham Pemberton (American Council on
Education and Association Women Technology Champions Board Member),
and Dianndra
Roberts (Royal College of Psychiatry and Scholarly Kitchen Chef).

See the NISO website for the full program
<https://www.niso.org/events/deia-scholarly-landscape-2024-niso-training-series>.
Discounted registration rates
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/deia-in-the-scholarly-landscape-a-2024-niso-training-series-tickets-893920088047>
are available for NISO members and groups.

MONTHLY ROUNDTABLE WEBINAR—FREE FOR NISO MEMBERS

Ensuring Trust in the Scholarly Record: How Libraries and Publishers
Support Research Integrity
<https://niso.org/events/ensuring-trust-scholarly-record-how-libraries-and-publishers-support-research-integrity>

Wednesday, June 12, 11:00 am–12:00 pm EDT (US/Canada)

In the face of growing questions around research integrity, several
strategies that address trust in the scholarly record are under
development. Join us to explore new approaches and new information
standards that help ensure research is a source of trusted information.

Speakers: Leslie McIntosh, VP, Research Integrity, Digital Science; Jodi
Schneider, PhD Informatics, Associate Professor, University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign; John Willinsky, Professor Emeritus, Stanford University
and Founder, Public Knowledge Project.

Registration is not required for NISO members. Non-NISO members, please
register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-ensuring-trust-in-the-scholarly-record-registration-768591286227>
(includes unlimited attendees from your organization).

OPEN TELECONFERENCE—FREE AND OPEN TO ALL

ISO TC 46 2024 Update <https://niso.org/events/2024/06/opentelecon-tc46>

Monday, June 17, 3:00–4:00 pm EDT (US/Canada)

June’s Open Teleconference will recap the International Organization for
Standardization (ISO) TC 46 Plenary meeting held in Berlin in May. TC 46 is
an ISO technical committee focused on Information and Documentation, and
NISO is designated by ANSI to represent US interests as the Technical
Advisory Group (TAG) to TC46.

Join us as members of the NISO team—Todd Carpenter, Executive
Director, and Keondra
Bailey, Assistant Standards Program Manager—share highlights from the
meeting, NISO's role there, and the current questions under consideration
in TC 46 conversations. There are many international projects currently
underway which have a relationship with and impact on standards work more
locally in the US library and information community.

Registration is not required for open teleconferences. See our event page
<https://niso.org/events/2024/06/opentelecon-tc46> for dial-in information.

NISO VIRTUAL EVENT—FREE AND OPEN TO ALL

NISO Annual Members Meeting
<https://niso.org/events/niso-2024-annual-members-meeting>

Tuesday, June 25, 10:00–11:30 am EDT (US/Canada)

The NISO Annual Members Meeting is a great opportunity to catch up on
what’s happening in the world of information standards. At this fully
virtual meeting, attendees will hear from the NISO team about important
organizational issues, including our new strategic plan for 2024–26, our
organizational finances, and our standards program. There will also be
ample opportunity to ask questions about our organization and how we
operate, as well as to share feedback about NISO and our work.

This event is provided as a public service at no cost to the information
community. All (including nonmembers) are welcome to attend, but please
register
<https://niso-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvfuiprDsqEt0rI0l3kVrw6sTUVSIrbfnC>
to receive login information.

NISO ON THE ROAD—FREE TO REGISTERED ALA ANNUAL ATTENDEES

The Changing Standards Landscape: 17th Annual NISO/BISG Forum
<https://niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>

Friday, June 28, 12:00—4:00 pm PDT (US/Canada)

Location:

San Diego Convention Center

111 W Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101

Room 05 A

If you’re attending the American Library Association’s Annual Conference in
Chicago, join us for the 16th annual NISO-BISG Changing Standards Landscape
Forum <https://www.niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>! The theme this
year is “AI and Book Publishing.”

Confirmed speakers (additional speakers TBC): Thad Mcllroy, Electronic
Publishing Analyst and Author, and President of The Future of Publishing,
and Rachel Comerford, Senior Director of Accessibility Outreach and
Communication, Macmillan Learning.

For all other ALA sessions in which NISO staff are participating, see our event
page <https://niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>. This event is free to
all registered, on-site attendees of the American Library Association 2024
Annual Meeting.

We’re looking forward to seeing you next month at one or more of these
educational events! Check our upcoming events page
<https://niso.org/events/upcoming> for updates on speakers and more.

Best,

The NISO Team

NISO 3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302 Baltimore, MD 21211 Phone:
301.654.2512 E-mail: nisohq at niso.org