[Eril-l] recycling weeded books

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Feb 15 07:21:52 PST 2024

Hello!

Check if your area has a chapter of the Prison Books Project, which gets
books into the hands of inmates.  They can usually use donations, however,
some cannot take hardbacks as some correctional institutes will only allow
paperback books to be sent in.  If there is a local chapter, they can tell
you what is permitted.

all the best,
Teresa

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 9:50 AM Electronic Resources in Libraries
discussion list via Eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org> wrote:

> Good morning all!
>

> I am struggling with a weeding problem. Our collection is undergoing a
> large weeding project. I have been sending lists of the weeded books to
> Baker & Taylor’s Sustainable Shelves program. They take books they can
> resell and give us credit toward new purchases. It’s wonderful because the
> books are still useful and we get credit!
>

> B&T used to also take the books they can’t sell and recycle them, but they
> recently stopped doing that. We are struggling with finding a way to
> recycle the weeded books. We have been told we can’t put them in the
> recycling dumpsters on campus. We have “Free- take one!” shelves near our
> entrance that students and faculty love to browse. Weeded books go there
> first. After sitting there for several weeks, the books are removed. They
> are now piling up on all available shelving in staff offices with nowhere
> to go.
>

> A small percentage are good enough (good condition and general topics) for
> donation to local book sales, but most just need recycling.
>

> Can you recommend a company that recycles both hard and soft cover books?
> Are there groups that look for donations of academic titles? We are in
> Western New York. Feel free to contact me off-list.
>

> Thanks for any suggestions!
>

> Jill M. Church
>

> Electronic Resources and ILL Librarian
>
> Montante Library
>
> D’Youville University
>

> churchj at dyc.edu
>
> ill at dyc.edu
>

> Phone: 716-829-8107
>

> D’YOUVILLE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, including any
> attachments, may contain sensitive and/or confidential information and is
> intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any
> unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
> all copies of the original message.

*Teresa Imfeld, MLIS*
*(she/her pronouns)*

*Interlibrary Loan & Circulation Services Manager*

*Warren Wilson College*

*Swannanoa, NC  28778828-771-3898*

--

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT AND NOTICE