[Eril-l] Best of Core Forum: Cultivating Equitable Hiring Practices for Academic Librarians: Bridging Perspectives of Applicants and Hiring Committees

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue Apr 30 05:00:00 PDT 2024

*Cross posted to multiple lists*

Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2024

All webinars are one hour in length and begin at 11 am Pacific, noon
Mountain, 1 pm Central, and 2 pm Eastern time.

After experiencing inconsistent search committee processes at our
university libraries, with little opportunity for training, we recognized
that these inconsistencies created equity issues, barriers to attracting
diverse candidates, and problematic search practices. Inspired by
faculty-driven initiatives, we created a hiring guide that outlines best
practices for search committees and how these practices can be consistently
applied. We use these practices to aid the library’s efforts to attract
excellent and diverse applicants, conduct fair and equitable candidate
evaluations, and hire and retain well-qualified staff. To further the
implementation of these practices, we aim to present highlights from the
guide to every search committee in order to stress the importance of these
processes. During this session, attendees will learn about the content of
our hiring guide and search committee presentation, discuss obstacles to
the consistent application of equitable practices, and the challenges to
changing workplace culture. We will also discuss the importance of
thoughtful, purposeful, and collaborative onboarding practices once the
candidate is hired. With this work, we strive to create a template to guide
search committees through the process of recruiting, selecting, and
retaining outstanding candidates for positions, while drawing particular
attention to issues of equity and inclusion.

Learning outcomes:

At the end of the webinar:

   -

   Attendees will be able to Identify the need for equitable and consistent
   practices for library search committees, differentiate between hiring
   practices that improve or hinder equitable processes, and develop methods
   to create hiring and onboarding materials for their organization.
   -

   Potential employers will be able to recognize opportunities for
   improving recruitment and onboarding practices in order to create a more
   inclusive and equitable process.
   -

   Potential job seekers will be able to identify when problems they
   encounter in the recruitment process are a result of systemic issues rather
   than application deficiencies in order to maintain confidence in their
   value, contributions, and worth despite roadblocks in the process.

Who should attend?

Managers, employers, job seekers

Presenters:

Erica R. Lopez is a Teaching & Learning Librarian at the University of
Houston Libraries. Erica has published and presented on inequitable
practices in academic librarian hiring, the childcare-conference conundrum
in academic librarianship, and science information literacy. Erica’s most
recent conference presentations include Core Forum, the Connecticut
Academic Library Conference, and the Texas Library Association District 8
conference.

Carolina Hernandez is a Student Success Librarian at the University of
Houston Libraries. Her current research interests include critical
information literacy, inclusive pedagogy, and inequitable hiring practices
in librarianship, which she has presented on most recently at Core Forum
and ACRL. She received her MLIS from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Kathryn Sullivan works as Head of Reference & Instruction at the University
of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). In this role, she oversees research
support services, library instruction, and the subject librarian program.
She holds an MLS from the iSchool at the University of Maryland, College
Park.

Joanna Gadsby works as the Instruction Coordinator and a Reference &
Instruction Librarian at University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC).
She holds an M.Ed. from Loyola University Maryland and an M.L.I.S. from
University of Maryland, and she has been working in education for
twenty-five years. Her research interests include relational practice,
critical and constructivist pedagogies, gendered labor in librarianship,
and inequitable hiring practices in libraries.

*****************

Registration fees for webinar:  Core Member $57.67; ALA member: $71.10;
Non-member $79.00

For additional information and access to registration links, please go to
the following website:

https://elearning.ala.org/local/catalog/view/product.php?productid=1122

Core webinars are recorded and registrants receive a link to the recording
shortly following the live event.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org.

For all other questions or comments related to Core webinars, please
contact Core CE staff at corece at ala.org.

*Posted on behalf of the Core Continuing Education Committee.*

____

Find your home, find your Core!
Searching for your place in ALA? If your role is in buildings, collections,
management, or technology, then Core: Leadership, Infrastructure, Futures
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ala.org%2Fcore%2Fhome&data=04%7C01%7CJulene.Jones%40uky.edu%7C025d89997b444eced60008da132395e0%7C2b30530b69b64457b818481cb53d42ae%7C0%7C0%7C637843340956415795%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=0bJ1tVuCdPy32gbhqBFGef5lGm0fDEfKrvS49luVB0o%3D&reserved=0>
may be the perfect fit for you! Six sections
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ala.org%2Fcore%2Fmember-center%2Fsections%2F&data=04%7C01%7CJulene.Jones%40uky.edu%7C025d89997b444eced60008da132395e0%7C2b30530b69b64457b818481cb53d42ae%7C0%7C0%7C637843340956415795%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=kliJKX%2BVgV2JCxmjZh9w0NJGGcjFAfm%2Fjw%2Bw6u%2BgASE%3D&reserved=0>
let you tailor your membership to the areas that match your interests and
career aspirations. Our interest groups offer networking and
problem-solving, while our volunteer opportunities give you practical
experience for your résumé. Our members are critical to implementing and
maintaining core library services; they come from every level of
responsibility and help shape the future of the profession. We hope you’ll
consider joining
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ala.org%2Fcore%2Fbenefits-membership&data=04%7C01%7CJulene.Jones%40uky.edu%7C025d89997b444eced60008da132395e0%7C2b30530b69b64457b818481cb53d42ae%7C0%7C0%7C637843340956415795%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=opqeizJEPM6u4KzmklJWBpZ03wRAPN27ctYDrRYZ%2Bb8%3D&reserved=0>
and finding your home in Core
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ala.org%2Fcore%2Fmember-center%2Ffind-your-core&data=04%7C01%7CJulene.Jones%40uky.edu%7C025d89997b444eced60008da132395e0%7C2b30530b69b64457b818481cb53d42ae%7C0%7C0%7C637843340956415795%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=OEeFZZwjEJgpYf4pVJbGUrIhTjFVVUGR3IKFslKNM94%3D&reserved=0>
!