[Eril-l] See what NISO has in store for June!

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu May 18 08:01:17 PDT 2023

**Apologies for cross posting**

June offers a variety of ways to engage with us at NISO! This month
features educational programs on controlled digital lending
<https://www.niso.org/events/controlled-digital-lending>, how open access
and emerging technologies will shape the future of disciplines in the
humanities <https://www.niso.org/events/2023-niso-humanities-roundtable>,
and the evolution of diverse and sustainable book publishing
<https://www.niso.org/events/changing-standards-landscape-16th-annual-nisobisg-forum-diverse-sustainable-conversation>.
We close out the month with our annual members meeting
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-annual-niso-members-meeting-tickets-612333484937>,
which provides an update on NISO’s strategic goals and standards projects!

OPEN TELECONFERENCE—FREE AND OPEN TO ALL

*ISO TC 46 2023 Update
<https://niso.org/events/2023/06/opentelecon-tc46>Monday, June 12,
3:00–4:00 pm EDT (US/Canada)*

June’s Open Teleconference will recap the International Organization for
Standardization (ISO) TC 46 Plenary meeting held in Paris, France, in May.
TC 46 is an ISO technical committee focused on Information and
Documentation, and NISO is designated by ANSI to represent U.S. interests
as the Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to TC46.

Join us as members of the NISO team—*Todd Carpenter,* Executive
Director, *Keondra
Bailey*, Assistant Standards Program Manager, and *Nettie Lagace*,
Assistant Executive Director—discuss the meeting, NISO's role there, and
the current questions under consideration in TC 46 conversations. There are
many international projects currently underway which have a relationship
with and impact on standards work more locally in the U.S. library and
information community.

Registration is not required for open teleconferences. See our event page
for dial-in information.

MONTHLY ROUNDTABLE WEBINAR—FREE FOR NISO MEMBERS
*Controlled Digital Lending*
<https://www.niso.org/events/controlled-digital-lending>
*Wednesday, June 14, 12:00–1:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)*

Recognizing that no single library collection can possibly contain every
publication required by its patrons, should stakeholders work toward a
collaborative solution? This month’s webinar will explore controlled
digital lending, as well as the sensitivities associated with it, in a
world that increasingly reads electronically.

Special thanks to Program Advisors *Jill Morris*, Executive Director, PALCI
and *Boaz Nadav-Manes*, Executive Director of Libraries, Lehigh University

*Registration is not required for NISO members. Non-NISO members,
please register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-controlled-digital-lending-registration-440929019567>
(includes
unlimited attendees from your organization). The recording will be shared
with all registered attendees.*

VIRTUAL EVENT—DISCOUNTED FOR NISO MEMBERS
*2023 NISO Humanities Roundtable*
<https://www.niso.org/events/2023-niso-humanities-roundtable>

*Tuesday, June 20, 10:30 am–4:30 pm EDT (US/Canada) Special Evening
Keynote:  7:00**–**8:30 pm EDT (US/Canada) Lucy Montgomery, Professor of
Knowledge Innovation, Curtin University*

This day-length conference continues in the tradition of the previous 20
years by drawing on the expertise of scholarly associations, university
presses, librarians, researchers, and more to provide participants with
exciting discussions around the needs of those working in the humanities.
This year’s program will examine how the transition to *open access* and
the *emergence of new technologies* will shape the future of these
disciplines. In addition to thought-provoking keynotes and expert panels,
the event will include plenty of time for interactivity and discussion,
providing a forum for stakeholders to come together and identify trends,
share best practices, and set priorities that reflect the needs of the
humanities community.

*Confirmed speakers (additional speakers TBC): Divine Fuh*, Director, HUMA,
University of Cape Town; *Bryn Geffert*, Dean of Libraries and Professor of
History, University of Vermont; *Lucy Montgomery*, Professor of Knowledge
Innovation, Curtin University; *Erinma Ochu*, Wallscourt Associate
Professor of Immersive Media in the College of Art, Technology and
Environment at the University of the West of England, Bristol; *Roopika
Risam*, Associate Professor in the Digital Humanities and Social Engagement
Cluster, Dartmouth College; and *Charles Watkinson,* Associate University
Librarian for Publishing/Director, University of Michigan Press.

*Thank you to our sponsors:* EBSCO <https://www.ebsco.com/>, Atla
<https://www.atla.com/>, Bowker <https://www.bowker.com/>, Modern Language
Association <https://www.mla.org/>, AUPresses <https://aupresses.org/>, Project
MUSE <https://muse.jhu.edu/>, and Routledge/Taylor & Francis
<https://www.routledge.com/>.

*Register.
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-niso-humanities-roundtable-registration-518748620087>
Discounts
available for NISO Voting/LSA members and NASIG members, full-time
students, and unemployed/retired registrants.*

NISO ON THE ROAD—FREE TO REGISTERED ALA ANNUAL ATTENDEES
*The Changing Standards Landscape: 16th Annual NISO/BISG Forum*
<https://www.niso.org/events/changing-standards-landscape-16th-annual-nisobisg-forum-diverse-sustainable-conversation>

*Friday, June 23, 12:00—4:00 pm CDT (US/Canada)*

Location:
McCormick Place Chicago Convention Center
2301 S. King Dr.
Chicago, IL 60616
Room: W176c

If you’re attending the American Library Association’s Annual Conference in
Chicago, join us for the 16th annual NISO-BISG Changing Standards Landscape
Forum
<https://www.niso.org/events/changing-standards-landscape-16th-annual-nisobisg-forum-diverse-sustainable-conversation>!
The theme this year is “Diverse & Sustainable: A Conversation About How
Book Publishing Evolves.”

*Confirmed speakers (additional speakers TBC): Todd Carpenter*, Executive
Director, NISO; *Brian O’Leary*, Executive Director, BISG; and *Claudia
Pilcher,* Sustainability Planner, Scholastic.

*For all other ALA sessions in which NISO staff are participating, see
our event page <https://www.niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2023>. This
event is free to all registered, on-site attendees of the American Library
Association 2023 Annual Meeting. There is no additional cost to attend. *

NISO VIRTUAL EVENT—FREE AND OPEN TO ALL
*NISO Annual Members Meeting*
<https://niso.org/events/niso-2023-annual-members-meeting>
*Thursday, June 29, 11:00 am–12:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)*

It’s time for our 2023 Annual Members Meeting! Hear from the NISO team
about important organizational issues, including updates on progress of our
strategic plan, the NISO Plus conference, our organizational finances,
NISO’s international engagement, and our standards program. The meeting is
also a chance for you to ask any questions you have about our organization
and how we operate, as well as to share your feedback about NISO and our
work.

*This event is provided as a public service at no cost to the NISO
community and to the broader information community. All (including
nonmembers) are welcome to attend, but please register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-annual-niso-members-meeting-tickets-612333484937>
receive login information.  *

We’re looking forward to seeing you next month at one or more of these
educational events! Check our event page
<https://www.niso.org/events/upcoming> for updates on speakers and more.

Best,
The NISO Team

NISO