[Eril-l] Announcing next OASPA Webinar: Funding Open Access after the Transformation (May 23)

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri May 12 06:45:04 PDT 2023

OASPA is delighted to announce our next webinar
<https://oaspa.org/webinar-funding-open-access-after-the-transformation/>,
happening on May 23: *Funding Open Access after the Transformation*

At its launch in 2018, cOAlition S announced that its members would, for a
“transition period,” fund open access fees for journals covered by
“transformative” agreements. That move helped to establish read-and-publish
deals as the leading OA business model, despite criticism that the
agreements prop up the author-pays APC system. The same author-pays
business model has, despite this opposition, also gained traction to fund
the publication of OA books (through BPCs).

As cOAlition S recently communicated, the transition period is ending;
beginning in 2025, funders adhering to Plan S will no longer support the
agreements. What is more, a growing chorus of stakeholders, including the
Ivy Plus librarians in the US and a coalition of UK-based researchers, are
calling for an alternative, collective funding model for OA. At the same
time, collective funding experiments as well as conditional open models
(such as Subscribe to Open)—in which neither authors nor readers pay—are
reporting promising results around the globe.

This webinar features perspectives on the emerging landscape of collective
and conditional open models from publishers and will be followed this year
by a second webinar focusing on the perspective of funders.

The webinar will be chaired by *Raym Crow *of SPARC and Chain Bridge
Group.  Panellists: *Vivian Berghahn *of Berghahn Books, *Judith Fathallah *of
Lancaster University, *Ámbar Tenorio-Fornés *and *Evgeniya Lupova-Henry *of
Quartz OA.

Please join us live <https://bit.ly/MAY2023_OASPA_Webinar> for this free
webinar and contribute to the discussion. Full information on our blog
<https://oaspa.org/webinar-funding-open-access-after-the-transformation/>.

Link to registration page: https://bit.ly/MAY2023_OASPA_Webinar. Please
share with those you think may be interested.

We are grateful to our webinar series sponsors *Royal Society of Chemistry*
, *TrendMD* and *Hindawi* for their generous support which enables us to
make our webinars available to all.

Best wishes,
Bernie

P.s. Did you know you can support OASPA's work even if you are not a
publishing organization? Join our other Supporters  - full information here
<https://oaspa.org/support-oaspa/>.

Bernie Folan
Communications, Engagement and Outreach Manager, OASPA
OASPA, Open Access Scholarly Publishing Association
bernie.folan at oaspa.org

Stay up to date:  Sign up <http://eepurl.com/bYkP8r> for OASPA news by
email | Follow us on Twitter: @OASPA <https://twitter.com/OASPA>