[Eril-l] Flipster and print subscriptions

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue May 9 13:29:26 PDT 2023

Hi, Mark.
The College of the Holy Cross just switched some popular magazines (and a
few journals) to Flipster. The point of this was to remove the print since
few people were using them in print and we had requests for "full image"
online options of some of the titles. We only converted limited retention
titles; that is, we were not keeping these in any other format except via
full text in aggregator databases. We also wanted to reduce the number of
print periodicals and journals since we do not have the staff any longer to
manage the print.
We looked at a couple of other "full image" magazine subscriptions but
Flipster gave us the most flexibility to subscribe to what we wanted. Our
"popular" magazine subscriptions in Flipster are a test to see if they will
be used (and/or found).  The cost for some titles is *a lot* higher than a
print subscription.
I hope this helps.

Judith

--
Judith Nagata
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
e: jnagata at holycross.edu