[Eril-l] COUNTER TR_J1 and newspapers

Tasha Mellins-Cohen tasha.mellins-cohen at counterusage.org
Mon Mar 6 00:57:27 PST 2023

Good morning all

Thank you for raising the issue. The COUNTER TR_J series of standard views (TR_J1, TR_J2, TR_J3, TR_J4) are designed to reflect only usage of materials from journals (Data_Type=Journal), and as such content from all other serials should be excluded. We have a separate data type (Data_Type=Newspaper_or_Newsletter) for news and magazine content, which appears in the Title Report (TR) but not in any standard views.

One of the primary reasons we encourage everyone to use the Title Report over standard views is that it provides a fuller view of usage and demonstrates the value of all serials, not just journals.

I’ll drop a line to NewsBank today about their TR_J1.

All the best
Tasha

Tasha Mellins-Cohen
Director