[Eril-l] [EXTERNAL] Student and Faculty Requests

Smith, Kelly Kelly.Smith2 at eku.edu
Wed Mar 1 07:27:02 PST 2023

Hi Sarah,

It somewhat depends on how you have your budget set up. Also, by requests are you referring to books, videos, journals, databases, or more than one of the above? How much of your budget is already committed to ongoing subscriptions? Of the amount that is left, how much of it do you want to proactively choose versus using demand driven acquisitions? And do you want to commit any of that into the ongoing commitment, or just focus on books and other one-times.

We decided about a decade ago to basically go 100% patron driven for monographs (favoring electronic access). We took away subject allocations and just purchased whatever people requested via ILL (but only if it was academic in nature - purely popular or outdated stuff we ILL'ed). I wrote about this in an Against the Grain article<https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/atg/vol30/iss5/50/> in 2018.

As a result of purchasing primarily DDA, we do have some currency gaps now, and are finding that students will often just pick what we have rather than requesting newer titles. So we're swinging back to doing a little focused curation with faculty, making sure that the titles they suggest work well for an undergraduate audience.

If you have to prioritize, look at your mission. For example, if your main focus is students, make sure the resources are good choices for meeting class assignments.

I hope this helps!

Kelly Smith, MSLIS
University Librarian
Director of Collections and Discovery