[Eril-l] OA Listing of ISSN Subject Classification

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue Jun 27 06:07:54 PDT 2023

This wasn't automated, but in 2018 I had a group of comp sci students create for me a crowd-source website to assign LC call numbers to ISSNs. I presented it at NASIG but I couldn't get anyone to participate in it, and the website is defunct now. Some of the documentation about the project including my poster is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tknc6lvfU4RCHdpCilkoLy8yn9OxvIha?usp=sharing
If anyone is interested in reviving this, I'd be happy to share the code and the data that I had seeded it with. It was open source from the outset.

FYI, assigning LCs to ISSNs is HARD because so many journals don't have just one subject. What are you going to assign Nature, Science, etc.?

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca