[Eril-l] Up Next from NISO—Programming on Metrics, Multilingual Content, and AI!

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Jul 27 09:00:52 PDT 2023

After a brief hiatus in July, the NISO events program returns in August,
with several webinars  focusing on timely topics in the information
community. Next month features two roundtables on metrics—one on assessing
usage <https://www.niso.org/events/metrics-assessing-usage-part-one> in
scholarly communications, and the other on opportunities to develop new
metrics
<https://www.niso.org/events/metrics-what-additional-metrics-are-needed-part-two>
that better serve the community. September brings a webinar on Multilingual
Content and Its Use
<https://www.niso.org/events/multilingual-content-and-its-use>.

And speaking of timely topics, registration is open for our NISO Plus Forum
<http://niso.plus/forum> on AI and Machine Learning in Scholarly
Publishing: Services, Data, and Ethics. Space for this popular, highly
interactive event is limited, so register now!

MONTHLY ROUNDTABLE WEBINAR FREE | FOR NISO MEMBERS

Metrics, Parts One and Two <https://www.niso.org/events/upcoming>

Please note that attendees must register for each metrics webinar
separately—see below for registration information.

Usage metrics are both useful and controversial — a complicated arena of
exploration. New technologies and policies lead to new behaviors and
practices. How much should libraries rely on usage to justify their
continued investment in a publication, database, or platform?  What sorts
of metrics do publishers use, and how? How well do our existing definitions
and tools work in an increasingly open access world? Are there
opportunities for libraries and publishers to work together on new and more
equitable metrics? In our increasingly data-driven world, this two-part
webinar will enable a much-needed deeper discussion of these and other
important questions for all stakeholders in the information community.

Part One: Assessing Usage
<https://www.niso.org/events/metrics-assessing-usage-part-one>

Wednesday, August 9, 11:00 am–12:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)

Confirmed speakers include Klara Maidenberg, Assessment Librarian,
University of Toronto Libraries; John McDonald, Director of Product
Management for Analytics and Assessment for EBSCO and member of the board
at COUNTER; and Jian Wang, Electronic and Continuing Resources Librarian,
Portland State University and member of the SPARC Data Analysis Working
Group.

Registration is not required for NISO members. Non-NISO members, please
register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-metrics-assessing-usage-part-one-registration-440940564097>
(includes unlimited attendees from your organization). The recording will
be shared with all registered attendees.

Part Two: What Additional Metrics Are Needed?
<https://www.niso.org/events/metrics-what-additional-metrics-are-needed-part-two>

Wednesday, August 16, 11:00 am–12:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)

Confirmed speakers (others TBA) include Sebastian Hammer, Co-Founder and
President, Index Data.

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-metrics-what-additional-metrics-are-needed-part-two-registration-440946311287>
(includes
unlimited attendees from your organization). The recording will be shared
with all registered attendees.

MONTHLY ROUNDTABLE WEBINAR | FREE FOR NISO MEMBERS

Multilingual Content and Its Use
<https://www.niso.org/events/multilingual-content-and-its-use>

Wednesday, September 13, 11:00 am–12:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)

Historically, the lingua franca of science has been English, but there is
growing recognition that this places an unacceptable barrier to inclusion,
equity, and access for information creators and consumers alike. In an age
of machine translation, can we overcome this barrier to access? Is the
current technology up to the challenge? Our speakers will discuss the
challenges and opportunities for maximizing the use of multilingual content.

Confirmed speakers *(others TBA)* include Dan Connor, Associate Editor,
Manager, and Senior Index Editor, Modern Language Association and Hélène Huet,
European Studies Librarian, University of Florida.

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-multilingual-content-and-its-use-registration-440950233017>(includes
unlimited attendees from your organization). The recording will be shared
with all registered attendees.

ON-SITE EVENT | REGISTRATION DISCOUNTED FOR NISO MEMBERS

NISO Plus Forum 2023 <https://niso.plus/forum/>

Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 8:30 am–5:00 pm

American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC

The theme of our second NISO Plus Forum is a timely one—AI and Machine
Learning in Scholarly Publishing: Services, Data, and Ethics. The event
features a format organized around “World Cafe” discussions, with the focus
primarily on practical work in small groups to help shape NISO’s standards
development priorities. It’s a great opportunity to share perspectives with
a diverse group of colleagues from across the information industry.

We would like to thank AGU <https://www.agu.org/>, Project MUSE
<https://muse.jhu.edu/>, Silverchair <https://www.silverchair.com>, Straive
<https://www.straive.com/>, Stony Brook University Libraries
<https://library.stonybrook.edu/>, and Bowker <https://www.bowker.com> for
sponsoring the 2023 Forum—their generous support makes our event possible.
If you would like to join them, please check out the sponsor page
<https://niso.plus/niso-plus-forum-2023-sponsors/> on the NISO Plus site.

For more information, including a preliminary program, see the NISO Plus
site <https://niso.plus/forum/>. Registration is discounted
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-plus-forum-2023-tickets-647120664327> for
NISO members.

We hope to see you soon at one of these upcoming events! In the meantime,
remember to visit our events page <https://www.niso.org/events/upcoming>
for more information as well as updates on confirmed speakers and
additional professional development opportunities.

Best wishes

The NISO Team

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302