[Eril-l] Hosting options for a spreadsheet dataset that can be authenticated?

Goddard, Matthew [LIB] mgoddard at iastate.edu
Wed Jan 25 12:42:21 PST 2023

Hi Tina,

We faced this dilemma at my previous institution and while we didn’t come up with the perfect solution, we did find something that served our specific needs at that time. Unfortunately, it fills all your criteria but (a), as it depends on EZProxy. But it may help others on the list who are wondering about this, so I’ll throw it out there all the same.

There is a directory of the EZProxy server that can only be accessed by logged in users. We put the datasets there, as well as a basic HTML homepage that described the terms of use and linked to the data. This was self-hosted EZProxy; I am not sure whether it’s also an option for hosted EZProxy.

Now that I’m at an OpenAthens institution myself, I’d be very interested to hear if you find a good solution.

Matthew

Matthew Goddard
Access and Acquisitions Head
Iowa State University