[Eril-l] shift+OPEN concludes first year, transitions two journals from European Sociological Association to OA

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Dec 21 08:31:02 PST 2023

Hello all -

Earlier this year, we announced the launch of shift+OPEN, an initiative to transition traditionally published journals to full diamond open access with the MIT Press. Selected journals receive funding to cover their transition to open access publishing for 3 years and assistance in developing a sustainable funding model to continue as an open access publication.

We received almost 10 applications for shift+OPEN this year, and we are delighted to announce that we have selected European Sociological Association's two journals - European Societies and European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology. The first open access issues are expected to publish in 2025.

With the 2023 cycle concluded, we now look forward to a new round of shift+OPEN applications in the New Year. We will announce details on our website soon. Meantime, here are some links with additional info:

  *   More about shift+OPEN: https://mitpress.mit.edu/shiftopen/ <http://post.spmailtechnolo.com/f/a/YDsElhsJol9pfJjBOLnvGQ~~/AADx3wA~/RgRnZte0P0QjaHR0cHM6Ly9taXRwcmVzcy5taXQuZWR1L3NoaWZ0b3Blbi9XA3NwY0IKZYO0UoRlt4MaalIPcGVsbGllbkBtaXQuZWR1WAQAAAAA>
  *   More about the partnership with ESA: https://mitpress.mit.edu/european-sociological-association-journals-european-societies-and-european-journal-of-cultural-and-political-sociology-move-to-diamond-open-access-at-the-mit-press/

Happy to end 2023 on such a positive OA note. Wishing you all a Happy New Year!
Jessica

//apologies for crossposting - hopefully holiday cheer helps//

[cid:image001.gif at 01DA3401.436B0630]

Jessica Pellien (she/her/hers)
Head of Communications
The MIT Press