[Eril-l] vendors requiring phone numbers for MFA

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue Apr 25 08:59:05 PDT 2023

Good question, Theresa. I recently wondered the same thing while writing
procedures for my work. For JOSPT, at least, I found I was able to switch
my phone number to an email address for MFA instead.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 11:47 AM Electronic Resources in Libraries
discussion list via Eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> Vendors and other sites required for technical services work are starting
> to require a cell phone number for multi-factor authentication via an
> authenticator app or sms.  E.g., to login to admin sites and get usage
> statistics.  We do NOT want staff using their personal cell phones for
> business purposes, for multiple reasons.  It's highly unlikely our
> institution will provide us with cell phones!
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this issue?
>
> Thanks and best, Theresa
>
> Theresa Arndt
> Assoc. Director for Library Resources & Administration
> Dickinson College
> Carlisle, PA 17013
> Office/voicemail:  (717) 245-1750
> arndtt at dickinson.edu
> she/her/hers

Thomas Waters, MA, MLIS
Assistant Professor & Technical Services Librarian
Trustee Library of Brenau University
500 Washington Street SE
Gainesville, GA 30501
770-718-5303
twaters1 at brenau.edu

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged.  If you are not the named recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message
without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or
storing or copying the information on any medium.