[Eril-l] Job Opportunity: Electronic Resources and Discovery Librarian

Kelly Lutz Kelly.Lutz at nsc.edu
Tue Mar 8 09:35:22 PST 2022

The Marydean Martin Library at Nevada State College (NSC), recipient of the 2020 ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries<http://www.ala.org/acrl/awards/achievementawards/excellenceacademic> award, invites applications for an Electronic Resources and Discovery Librarian. Reporting to the Director of the Marydean Martin Library, the successful candidate will join a dynamic team whose vision is to boldly expand the horizons of the contemporary college library. The Electronic Resources and Discovery Librarian will work with a broad mandate to think creatively about strategies to maximize the impact of subscription and open content.

Potential initiatives in this position may include, but are not limited to:

  *   Aligning library collections with campus equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives.
  *   Creating a strategy to make open educational resources and open access an integral component of the institution's standard operating practices.
  *   Co-leading summer institutes that enable Nevada State instructors to adopt open educational resources into their courses.

The ideal candidate for this position will be able to think holistically about the life cycle of electronic content, including: budget, selection, acquisitions, licensing, implementation, discovery, assessment, and support. They will be able to persuasively advocate for the value of the Library at an institution that is focused on making measurable improvements to student retention and graduation rates.

About the Marydean Martin Library

  *   As the first all-digital academic library in the state of Nevada, the Marydean Martin Library focuses its effort on improving outcomes for the College's student population. This is achieved in a highly collaborative, project-based work environment that aims for demonstrable improvements. A 2019 campus-wide climate survey<https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx70v6ui80r8w5q/2019%20NSOCS%20Feedback%20Report.pdf?dl=0> reported the Library as having the leading academic faculty responses in the following categories:
  *   Highest mean level of teamwork (M = 5.8/7)
  *   Highest sense of belonging (M = 6.3/7)
  *   Highest perceived fulfillment of diversity-related commitments (M = 5.9/7)
  *   Lowest levels of inadequate training (M = 1/7)

The Library regularly partners with instructors on culturally responsive course design, enhances the accessibility of course content with open educational resources, and collaborates with instructors to integrate information literacy into the curriculum. The Library also has a deep collaboration with the Office of Institutional Research that has led to research findings indicating that students who engage with library programs and services have improved research assignment grades, semester GPA, academic standing, and one-term retention.

Diversity and Inclusion Statement

Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.

A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.

We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.

We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.

We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.

Primary Responsibilities

  *   Provides leadership for the electronic resources life cycle, working with campus stakeholders to enhance the success of the academic community.
  *   Provides culturally responsive teaching and learning services for students and instructors in designated subject areas.
  *   Creates and manages digital learning objects.
  *   Proactively improves knowledge and professional practice through training and continuing education.
  *   Creates scholarly products; actively participates in professional engagement or service at the library, college, and national level; and meets other NSC requirements for promotion and tenure.

Required Qualifications

  *   ALA-accredited master's degree or equivalent by July 1, 2022.
  *   Excellent oral and written communication skills.
  *   Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas).

Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.

Due to the current health and safety emergency declaration, anyone hired must receive a complete (and verified) COVID-19 vaccination series or an approved medical or religious waiver request as a term and condition of employment prior to any start date at any Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institution.

Preferred Qualifications

  *   Experience supporting the academic success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
  *   Experience managing the electronic resources life cycle.
  *   Experience with open educational resources.
  *   Experience providing teaching and learning services in an academic library.
  *   Creativity in problem-solving and enthusiasm for self-directed projects.
  *   Ability to successfully collaborate with campus stakeholders.
  *   Ability to work comfortably with ambiguity, to progress multiple priorities/projects simultaneously, and flexibility to accommodate shifting priorities.
  *   Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment.

Rank, Salary & Benefits

This is a 12-month, tenure-track, assistant professor level position. Budgeted salary for this position is $64,856.40. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, 24 days of vacation, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.

Review of applications will begin on April 5, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.

For the full position description and application instructions, please see: https://bit.ly/3MqzSe0

Kelly Lutz
Systems Librarian
Marydean Martin Library

be connected  office 702.992.2804  |  kelly.lutz at nsc.edu<mailto:kelly.lutz at nsc.edu>
be here  1300 Nevada State Drive  |  rsc 215  |  Henderson, NV 89002
be informed  Visit nsc.edu<http://www.nsc.edu/> for campus news and program information.
be social  @NevadaState |  facebook.com/NevadaStateCollege<http://facebook.com/NevadaStateCollege>

[cid:image001.png at 01D481B1.11569B30]