[Eril-l] NISO Draft Standards-Specific Ontology Standard Now Open For Public Comments

NISO Announce niso-announce at niso.org
Mon Jan 31 09:14:45 PST 2022

**Apologies for cross posting**

Baltimore, MD, January 31, 2022: The National Information Standards
Organization (NISO) today announced that the Z39.103 Standards-Specific
Ontology Standard (SSOS) Working Group
<http://www.niso.org/standards-committees/ssos> has released its draft
standard for public comment <http://www.niso.org/standards-committees/ssos>.
Members of the global information community are invited to provide their
input. NISO SSOS provides a high-level generic ontology describing the life
cycle of consensus-based standardization projects and published standards.

All standards-developing organizations (SDOs) follow their own specific
processes and rules; however, these processes share many common features
and development stages. The Standards-Specific Ontology Standard has been
developed to help standards users, who typically interact with standards
from multiple organizations, better understand all stages of the standards
life cycle, from development through publication to maintenance to
archiving/withdrawal. It provides a generic, non-SDO-specific description
of the standards life cycle to which the stages and deliverables of
standards from different SDOs can be mapped. Ultimately, the SSOS will
allow for better information systems and improved automated retrieval of
life cycle information across a wide range of standardization activities
and standards products in many organizations.

“We are very grateful to everyone on the Working Group who provided the use
case descriptions for the standards life cycle ontology, as well as to the
many organizations that provided input based on their own standards life
cycles,” said Robert Wheeler, Director of Publishing Technologies at ASME
(American Society of Mechanical Engineers) and Co-chair of the SSOS Working
Group. “We now warmly welcome feedback on the draft SSOS, so that we can
ensure that the final version, intended to be an ANSI/NISO standard, meets
the needs of standards users and developers everywhere.”

“We hope that, once published, the ontology will be used by developers,
publishers, distributors, and users of standards—national standards bodies,
regional and international standards bodies, standards development
organizations, businesses,” added fellow Co-chair, Cord Wischhöfer,
Managing Director at DIN Software GmbH. “It will enable them to improve the
life cycle information of their own standards, as well as better structure,
analyze, and compare development stages of standardization activities and
the life cycle of standards publications.”

“Our thanks to Robert, Cord, and all Z39.103 SSOS Working Group members for
their work and contributions to this new draft standard,” said Nettie
Lagace, NISO’s Associate Executive Director. “Collectively, they represent
a broad swath of standards organizations and users—from aeronautics to
publishing—and we look forward to receiving feedback from the wider
standards community to help ensure SSOS’s broad adoption, once comments are
addressed, the standard is approved by NISO Voting Members and ANSI, and
published.”

The draft Standards-Specific Ontology Standard is available for public
comment at http://www.niso.org/standards-committees/ssos from January 31 to
March 16.  An OWL version of the ontology is also available for comment,
linked at the same address.

About NISO

Based in Baltimore, MD, NISO’s mission is to build knowledge, foster
discussion, and advance authoritative standards development through
collaboration among the cultural, scholarly, scientific, and professional
communities. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages with libraries,
publishers, information aggregators, and other organizations that support
learning, research, and scholarship through the creation, organization,
management, and curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting
communities of interest and across the entire lifecycle of information
standards. NISO is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI). For more information, visit the NISO
website (https://niso.org) or contact us at nisohq at niso.org.

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302

Baltimore, MD 21211