[Eril-l] ACS Tokens & website link checkers

Larrison, Stephanie larrison at txstate.edu
Tue Feb 8 14:20:51 PST 2022

If you purchase tokens for journal articles, ask the publisher to disable the IP addresses for your website link checkers.

We purchased our first batch of ACS tokens in 2022, when we cut back the size of our journal package. They're being used at an alarming rate. Two IP addresses were responsible for 91 tokens used, including multiple downloads of the same articles. We decided to check the IP addresses, in hopes that we could identify the users and chat with them about saving articles instead of going back to ACS each time. Turns out those IP addresses are the automatic link checker on the university's website, triggering token use for articles on faculty vita webpages.

Stephanie Larrison
Electronic Resources Librarian
Texas State University
larrison at txstate.edu<mailto:larrison at txstate.edu>