[Eril-l] Survey on Burnout for Academic Library Workers Who Are Parents

Jessica Lee jessicalee at valdosta.edu
Wed Mar 3 05:43:32 PST 2021

*Please excuse cross postings*

Dear Library Colleagues,

We are writing to you with an invitation to participate in our research on the experiences involving burnout of academic library workers who are parents. The purpose of our study is to explore how and why academic library workers who are also parents experience burnout as well as methods taken to combat burnout. The goal of the study is to learn what the primary causes of burnout in library workers who are parents are and what if any effective strategies to mitigate burnout currently exist. For the purposes of this study, we're defining "academic library worker" as anyone who engages or has engaged in library related work at a postsecondary educational institution. Library assistants, clerks, pages, part-timers, etc. are welcome and encouraged to participate. Those who have not experienced burnout are also welcome to complete the survey. There is also an optional survey to be entered into a drawing for a $20 giftcard to the business of your choice. Your responses to the optional survey will be kept separate from your other responses and you will remain anonymous. This study has been reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board at Valdosta State University.

If you were a parent or primary giver to a child under the age of 18 while working in an academic library we invite you to participate in an anonymous survey that will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. Please submit your survey responses by March 30, 2021.

Survey Link:

https://valdosta.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eEwCjKdPmBClQFM

Questions regarding the purpose or procedures of the research should be directed to Mike Holt (moholt at valdosta.edu<mailto:moholt at valdosta.edu>), Robert Taylor (rngriggs at valdosta.edu<mailto:rngriggs at valdosta.edu>), Amy Chew (achew at valdosta.edu<mailto:achew at valdosta.edu>), or Jessica Lee (jessicalee at valdosta.edu<mailto:jessicalee at valdosta.edu> ).  This study has been approved by the Valdosta State University Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Research Participants. The IRB, a university committee established by Federal law, is responsible for protecting the rights and welfare of research participants.  If you have concerns or questions about your rights as a research participant, you may contact the IRB Administrator at 229-253-2947 or irb at valdosta.edu.

Jessica Lee
Electronic Resources/Serials Librarian
Odum Library
Valdosta State University