[Eril-l] Job Posting: Continuing Resources Librarian University of Maryland College Park
Leigh Ann DePope
librarylade at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 07:02:28 PDT 2021
To see the full posting of to apply: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/85122
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s
flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes
away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative,
executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business
and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of
research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit
organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our
faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s
capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting
and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance
our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship,
and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore
area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve more than 37,500 students
and 4,200 faculty of the flagship College Park campus.
The Continuing Resources Librarian has three main areas of responsibility:
(1) Obtaining and making discoverable continuing resources of various
formats and managing the continuing resource lifecycle (2) Maintaining
records in various systems for the purposes of inventory control,
bibliographic control, and facilitating discovery, and (3) Providing
customer service to internal and external Libraries users regarding
questions of access to, or description of, Libraries Collections materials.
This position, reporting to the Head of Acquisitions, Continuing Resources,
and Data Services, is part of a highly committed team, whose mission is to
maximize the Libraries’ support for the teaching and research programs of
the University of Maryland at College Park.
The Continuing Resources Librarian will be expected to develop innovative
strategies and work methodologies to promote and foster partnerships with
other library colleagues involved in collection development, cataloging,
resource discovery, and resource preservation. This position has
responsibility for providing data on collections budget administration and
It also provides leadership through active participation on committees at
the department, division, Libraries, University, and consortium level.
Librarians hold faculty status and contribute to the teaching, service and
research mission of the University. As a member of the Library faculty, the
Continuing Resources Librarian has an obligation to remain professionally
informed, to pursue the discovery of new knowledge related to the field of
expertise, to disseminate the results of scholarly work, and to seek
opportunities for professional service at the Libraries, campus, state, or
● Compiles and analyzes data for collection development librarians and the
Library administration to support data-driven decision making
● Resolves complex problems and applies knowledge of current issues and
trends in continuing resource management, discovery, and the publishing
industry to improve services
● Manages the lifecycle processes for electronic resources
● Oversees print serials management
● Serves on Library, University and consortia committees and task groups as
● Participates in professional service at national and regional library
associations/groups, and engages in scholarly/creative activities
● Maintains knowledge of trends in continuing resource management through
participation in regional and national meetings and listservs
Performs other duties, as assigned
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from a
graduate program accredited by the American Library Association or
equivalent professional degree and relevant library acquisitions, serials,
or electronic resource management experience.
* Three or more years of serials or acquisitions experience in an academic
or research library, at least one of which was spent as a professional
* Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
Demonstrated ability to solve problems analytically, and to work
collaboratively in diverse environments in order to achieve goals.
* Experience with automated acquisitions systems and automated library
systems in an academic research library.
* Knowledge of acquisitions and serial practices and procedures; knowledge
of basic cataloging and bibliographic principles for serials; knowledge of
serial/electronic resources issues and emerging trends; knowledge of
publishing trends, book and subscription trade.
* Competence in project and data management, familiarity with Excel
spreadsheets and project management tools.
* Must have the ability to manage a broad variety of tasks in response to
varying time pressures with shifting priorities and changing constraints.
* Evidence of ability to interact collaboratively and work effectively
within a diverse environment.
* Evidence of strong service orientation; an ability to anticipate customer
needs and seek ways of providing satisfactory solutions.
* Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly,
knowledgeably, and personably, orally and in writing with all persons
potentially affected by the scope of the work,
* Experience with consortial relationships.
* Demonstrated competencies in managing or troubleshooting electronic
* Experience with developing, implementing, or using ERMs, Discovery
Services, or Library Services Platforms (LSP’s).
* Demonstrated record of contributions to the profession in service and
* Coding experience with Python or other skills used to manipulate data.
How to Apply
All interested candidates must apply online
athttps://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/85122. Follow the instructions to
complete an online application which includes creating or updating an
applicant profile, uploading a resume, and completing a job specific
Thanks for considering,
Leigh Ann DePope
Head, Acquisitions, Continuing Resources, and Data Services
University of Maryland College Park
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Eril-l