[Eril-l] The IP registry

Debbie Wilton debbie at psiregistry.org
Mon Feb 1 05:59:54 PST 2021

Hi Leigh Ann,

Thanks for your question. This gives me the opportunity to update the list on progress at theIPregistry.org. TheIPregistry.org is making IP authentication easier to manage and more reliable for both publishers and subscribing organisations. There are now approx. 3800 organisations using theIPregistry.org to communicate their IP updates to vendors and the number continues to grow.

There are currently close to 50 publishers receiving IP updates via theIPregistry.org and this number is set to grow significantly in the coming months. These publishers are funding this free-to-use service for their customers. Why are they doing this? Because they know that they do not have the time or resources to provide the kind of verification that theIPregistry.org can offer.

Using theIPregistry is much easier because you can send IP updates to multiple publishers at the click of a button. It is much more reliable because IP addresses are checked and verified and our instant alert system eliminates the vast majority of errors before they can be introduced. It is much quicker, particularly for those publishers receiving updates via API for these publishers updates can be activated within 2 hours of approval by our team.

Coincidentally a similar question was asked on the EZproxy forum mailing list today (apologies to those of you that have already seen a very similar response from me on that list!). One of our users responded with the following message:

Yes, it is legitimate. We are finding more and more vendors moving to utilize the IP Registry service. From the library side, I’ve found their support to be communicative and helpful thus far.

Thanks,
Breanna Webb
E-resources Management Librarian
Southern Methodist University