[Eril-l] Communicating with the user community when cancelling electronic resource subscriptions

Arndt,Theresa arndtt at dickinson.edu
Fri Dec 17 13:27:08 PST 2021

​We have liaison librarians for each department, so they will send the announcement to faculty (who may be more likely to read a personal email, but not always).  We also have a monthly report distributed during the academic year in conjunction with the monthly faculty meeting.  We provide rationale and price information explaining why cuts are being made, and alternatives for accessing the information (e.g., ILL).   The reports stay online from prior months.  You could try posting information sent to your faculty listserv on a libguide or webpage where they can review it later, but don't assume they will.  Some faculty have told us they always read the posted reports; some faculty have told us they never read the reports.   With the budget cuts lately, we can't necessarily ask the faculty whether it's okay to cut something.  Cuts have to be made, and we make them as judiciously as possible based on data and mindful of impact on research and teaching.

IMHO, don't assume it's your fault faculty don't know something you've communicated. Communication is a two way street, and you cannot make someone actually read what you send or post.  They may be overwhelmed with email (I know I am) or just don't bother to read your reports or don't think about the impact of a particular item until months later when they want a particular article.  There may be nothing you can do about this!

An anecdote from years gone by:  a professor contacted the library, very upset to discover that we'd cancelled a journal important to them.   When we looked in our records we found the cancellation occurred five years before they noticed.

Happy, restful, safe holidays one and all!   - Theresa

Theresa Arndt
Assoc. Director for Library Resources & Administration
Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013
Office/voicemail:  (717) 245-1750
arndtt at dickinson.edu