[Eril-l] You're Invited to MUSE Meets 2021!

Melanie Schaffner mschaffner.muse at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 1 19:25:41 PST 2021

Please Join Us for MUSE Meets 2021

MUSE Meets 2021, happening April 27th-30th, is a virtual gathering focused on not-for-profit scholarly publishing in the humanities and social sciences. This free event expands on the tradition of Project MUSE's annual meeting of participating publishers, and builds upon our celebration of MUSE's 25th anniversary under the theme of "Envision What's Next." Over 200 members of the scholarly communications community have already registered for MUSE Meets 2021!! If you haven't yet registered, it's not too late to reserve your spot<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/muse-meets-2021-envision-whats-next-registration-140898177241>.

In addition to delivering an informative and educational meeting for our publishers, we are excited to augment our programming with global community sessions that invite participation from our library partners and other stakeholders in scholarly communications. We believe it is vital, now more than ever, to encourage dialogue among the library, scholar, and publishing communities, so we can work together to envision a sustainable future. Registration for the event is free to all, as we want to ensure equitable participation for any who wish to join the conversation.

Space is limited, so RSVP<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/muse-meets-2021-envision-whats-next-registration-140898177241> by April 23, 2021 to reserve your spot at the virtual event<https://about.muse.jhu.edu/about/publishers-meeting/>!

*****
MUSE Meets 2021 will include a keynote address from Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Director of Digital Humanities and Professor of English at Michigan State University, where she also directs MESH, a research and development unit focused on the future of scholarly communication. She is project director of Humanities Commons, an open-access, open-source network serving more than 23,000 scholars and practitioners across the humanities and around the world, and she is author of Generous Thinking: A Radical Approach to Saving the University (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2019), Planned Obsolescence:  Publishing, Technology, and the Future of the Academy (NYU Press, 2011), and The Anxiety of Obsolescence: The American Novel in the Age of Television (Vanderbilt University Press, 2006). She is president of the Association for Computers and the Humanities, and she is a member of the board of directors of the Council on Library and Information Resources and of the Educopia Institute.

At MUSE Meets 2021, Kathleen will talk about what's next for our communities post-pandemic in leadership decision making, collective actions, building better shared infrastructures, and increasing equity of access to content. Following her talk will be plenty of time for audience Q&A.

The four-day event will also feature an interactive breakout session for discussion and networking, presentations for publishers about everything new and forthcoming from Project MUSE, and a series of panels that bring together voices from the library and publishing worlds to discuss trends and challenges facing scholarly communications in 2021.

See below for the detailed schedule, and visit our MUSE Meets 2021 webpage<https://about.muse.jhu.edu/about/publishers-meeting/> for more information.

MUSE Meets 2021 Schedule

Tuesday, April 27, 2021
4:00pm-5:00pm EDT
Opening Comments and Keynote Speaker
*                     Wendy Queen, Director, Project MUSE
*                     Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Director of Digital Humanities and Professor of English, Michigan State University

Wednesday, April 28, 2021
10:00am-11:15am EDT
Panel Discussion: "Envision What's Next: Perspective from Publishers, Librarians, and Scholarly Publishing Stakeholders"
*                     Greg Eow, President, Center for Research Libraries
*                     Celeste Feather (moderator), Senior Director of Content and Scholarly Communication Initiatives, LYRASIS
*                     Sylvester Johnson, Professor and Director of the Center for Humanities, Virginia Tech
*                     Liz Mengel, Associate Director of Collections & Academic Services, Sheridan Libraries, Johns Hopkins University
*                     Frances Pinter, Executive Chair, Central European University Press
*                     Karin Wulf, Professor of History and Director of the Omohundro Institute, William & Mary
11:30am-12:30pm EDT
Breakout Sessions (fully booked)

Thursday, April 29, 2021 (MUSE Participating Publishers business meeting, closed sessions)

Friday, April 30, 2021
10:00am-11:15 EDT
Panel Discussion: "Community Challenges, Collaborative Solutions: Emerging Library Trends for Publishers"
*                     Lindsay Cronk, Head of Collection Strategies and Scholarly Communication, University of Rochester (for the NERL Consortium)
*                     Laura Mesotten, Process Manager Research and Open Scholarship, KU Leuven Libraries
*                     Jaclyn Parrott, Assistant Professor and Collection Management Librarian, Eastern Washington University Libraries and Learning Commons
*                     Maurice York, Director of Library Initiatives, Big Ten Academic Alliance
*                     Melanie Schaffner (moderator), Director of Sales and Marketing, Project MUSE

Register now<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/muse-meets-2021-envision-whats-next-registration-140898177241> to reserve your free spot at MUSE Meets 2021<https://about.muse.jhu.edu/about/publishers-meeting/>.

Melanie Schaffner
Director, Sales & Marketing
Project MUSE
mschaffner.muse at jhu.edu<mailto:mschaffner.muse at jhu.edu>
p 410-516-3846 (Eastern Daylight Time, email preferred due to current remote work environment)
she/her/hers
[cid:image001.png at 01D726F5.10011B70]<https://muse.jhu.edu/>
Celebrate 25 years of MUSE with us at muse.jhu.edu/25<https://muse.jhu.edu/25>

New privacy regulations prevent us from sharing news and updates from Project MUSE with you unless you have opted-in to our communications. Please ensure your get our latest news by signing up for our email<https://about.muse.jhu.edu/news/signup/> list!