[Eril-l] PubMed setup for off-campus use?

Kendall Bartsch kendall.bartsch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:35:04 PDT 2020

PubMed is vexing because there are only two ways users can access their
library's full text resources from the database.  The first is by following
the specific PubMed link with the O-Tool embedded in the syntax.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of PubMed users just go the basic PubMed
site.

This leaves most PubMed users able to connect to their library's full text
resources provided they 1) set up an NCBI account and 2) follow the menu
tree Account Settings/NCBI Account Settings/Outside Tool.  As a library
technology vendor, it baffles as to why NLM makes this process so obscure
and complicated - most users do not dig into menu trees and those that did,
few would likely know to what "Outside Tool" refers.  If the process of
affiliating with one's library was made easier, my view is that many more
people would be connecting with their library's resources.

Some obvious fixes would be to make affiliating with a library an obvious
and initial part of the NCBI account set up process and to insert an
persistent button in the PubMed interface (reading something like "Click
here for better full text access") that brings the user to the list of
libraries using the Outside Tool.  These changes would be trivial to make
given they have to do with the interface, not the database architecture.

If anyone knows anyone at NLM or PubMed Labs, I encourage you to make the
case to them for these changes.  Doing so would literally connect millions
of users with more library content.

Kendall Bartsch
CEO & Co-founder
Third Iron