[Eril-l] Limiting Discovery when library is closed

Jeanne Little jeanne.little at uni.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:07:49 PDT 2020

Our library has not shut off access to any resources in our online catalog,
print or online.

We are currently offering curb-side pickup for print materials and printing
for articles that can be picked up locally. Staff are using safety
precautions such as gloves, and they bag materials and hand them through
the car window at our loading dock. Not sure how long this will last.

We also are directing our users to a web page/LibGuide we created called
Remote Access for Library Users, which tells them how to find online
videos, using ILL to have use send print materials and articles, additional
temporary access to ebooks and databases, etc.

Additional staff and students (remotely) are manning our AskUs! chat
services to assist with accessing materials. We have increased the number
of mediated Kanopy titles we will lease for faculty, and worked hard to
find other resources if they are not covered by Kanopy or Ambrose
platforms. We have also increased our checkout periods. And all of this
being done by staff working remotely and with our skeleton crew who are
physically working in a locked library.

Everyone is trying to make the best of our move to online only courses for
the remainder of our spring semester, and for all of our summer courses,
with the hope we can resume some normalcy by fall semester (fingers
crossed).

Jeanne Little
  --
Library Assistant IV