[Eril-l] Libguide construction - Guide Types

Harper, Cynthia charper at vts.edu
Thu Mar 19 10:49:49 PDT 2020

I have a question about the architecture for Libguides.  The syste comes with the ability to classify the guides by Subject, Tags, and GuideType.  We can define our own values for Subject and Tags.  We are limited to "General Purpose, Subject, and Topic" guides.  It's not apparent to our users and our librarians what the difference between a topic and a subject are, but I've learned that Subjects are the first-level navigation classes that you want to have, usually academic subject departements in a liberal arts library.  I want to make a navigation class of How-To to distinguish technical help from resource help. We don't have Libguides CMS, which Springshare tells me might be needed to expand the Guide Type field, or use Groups.  Did any of you wrestle with this question?  I'm about to make How-To a "subject" for first-level navigation.

Cindy Harper
Electronic Services and Periodicals Librarian
Virginia Theological Seminary, Box 159
3737 Seminary Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
charper at vts.edu<mailto:charper at vts.edu>