[Eril-l] database accessibility

Checkley, Caroline R checkc at essex.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 00:09:13 PDT 2020

Hi Heather

This is a very active topic in the U.K at the moment as we have new public sector regulations coming into force.

ASPIRE began as an eBook accessibility survey but has evolved into a service that verifies accessibility for platforms and publishers https://www.textboxdigital.com/aspire-home, so you may find some platforms have already been assessed already. In the UK HE community we are trying to encourage publishers to use this service as much as possible.

We use the SiteImprove<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/siteimprove-accessibility/efcfolpjihicnikpmhnmphjhhpiclljc>  free plugin for Chrome for checking and found the following resources useful (sourced from the amazing DIGITALACCESSIBILITYREGULATIONS at JISCMAIL.AC.UK at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ which I believe is open to join).

https://www.lexdis.org.uk/digital-accessibility/ - they also have a quick checklist https://www.lexdis.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Quick-Accessibility-checks-Final-Sept19.docx

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/make-your-website-or-app-accessible-and-publish-an-accessibility-statement#decide-how-to-check-your-website-or-app-for-accessibility-problems

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/helping-people-to-use-your-service/testing-for-accessibility

https://iwmw.org/blog/2019/01/28/how-to-run-higher-education-website-accessibility-projects/