[Eril-l] Temporary e-book access for distance-learning mode during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Carla Brooks ctbrooks at umich.edu
Wed Mar 11 11:11:23 PDT 2020

Hi Diane,

You might want to try ProjectMuse Open Access monographs.  They also
provide MARC records for their titles
https://about.muse.jhu.edu/muse/open-access-overview/

Cheers,
Carla

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Diane Westerfield <
dwesterfield at coloradocollege.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I wanted to broach the subject of campuses closing because of COVID-19
> concerns, and how libraries are going to support distance learning.
>

> My institution is a small residential liberal arts college. Our patrons
> have a preference for print books, at least for reading in depth. We are
> not really set up for unplanned distance learning, but here we are.
> https://www.coloradocollege.edu/other/coronavirus/
>

> So my question is, how can we fill the gap for a month or three for books?
> We do have a lot of ebooks, but I can’t think of anything we have for
> modern literature/fiction (the only fiction ebooks are in special
> historical sets like Eighteenth Century Collections Online and Early
> English Books Online). We’re somewhat light on humanities, compared to all
> the science and social science e-books we get from Springer and Elsevier.
> Are there vendors who can serve fiction ebooks in an EZ Proxy/single-sign
> on environment? Who is good for humanities e-books?
>

> On a side note - we have a few Project Gutenberg titles in our catalog.
> I’ve just asked our lead cataloger if we can update the MARC records; at
> least we can have out-of-copyright full text works linked from our catalog.
> This would flesh out the 1800s and early 1900s literature somewhat. We can
> also direct patrons to Google Books and Internet Archives.
>

> On another note: There may be an increase in requests for book chapters to
> be scanned so that faculty can post readings to Canvas. As we are heavily
> reliant on student workers for Circulation, ILL, and book shelving, there
> may have to be a reshuffling of library staff/librarians to handle some of
> this work.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
>
> Colorado College, Tutt Library
>
> diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu
>
> (719) 389-6661

*Carla Brooks*, MSLS
English and African & African-American Studies Librarian
University of Michigan-Dearborn
Mardigian Library
4901 Evergreen Rd
Dearborn, MI 48128