[Eril-l] Position Announcement: Chief of Access & Discovery Services, NDU, Washington, DC
ANDERSON, KARI (CIV US NDU/LIB)
KARI.ANDERSON at ndu.edu
Thu Feb 13 11:30:09 PST 2020
Envision yourself (or someone you know) as the new Chief of Library Access & Discovery Services at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C.
Consider working with current and future world leaders daily at NDU. The setting is lovely (at the confluence of the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers), the work is stimulating, the salary is attractive, and the benefits are robust.
NDU -which operates under the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Department of Defense-is composed of five colleges:
1. The National War College,
2. Eisenhower School for National Security & Resource Strategy,
3. College of International Security Affairs,
4. College of Information and Cyberspace, and
5. Joint Forces Staff College (located in Norfolk, Virginia).
It is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
A non-residential graduate school, it primarily grants a 10-month Master's Degrees to mid-career officers (average age of 43) of superior and outstanding caliber from all branches of the military, as well as prominent foreign officers, and members of the United States and foreign diplomatic corps.
A sizeable staff of civilian research Librarians provides information literacy instruction, and delivers access to 600,000 print volumes, 105 electronic databases, 20,000 eJournals, and 125,000 eBooks, as well as Special Collections holding personal papers of modern military and diplomatic leaders (e.g. Colin Powell).
The Chief of Access & Discovery Services, reporting directly to the Dean of Library & Learning Center Services, has the following portfolio of duties:
* Supervises and evaluates a staff of approximately 13 professional and support employees;
* Maintains the Library's position at the forefront of changes in technology, and the storage and delivery of information, interfacing with NDU's Information Technology Directorate to facilitate convergence of information resources and technologies (databases, search interfaces, delivery platforms and vehicles, etc.) in the service of the teaching/learning process.
* Ensures library electronic systems architecture, including integration and functionality, for seamless patron access to catalog(s), databases, and third-party vendor applications. Similarly oversees development of the library home page on both the World Wide Web and NDU internal web to reflect available resources and services.
* Ensures accurate and timely classification and cataloging of the library's print and electronic resources with access points and metadata providing maximum searchability.
* Develops, maintains, monitors, oversees, and reports on library budget(s) in accordance with NDU goals and curriculum, serving as Approving Official for the library's government credit card purchases and Property Manager. Interfaces with all external Library vendors, manages the Library's government contracts, monitors acquisitions and secures serials subscriptions.
* Responsible for the maintenance of print collections, circulation of print and other physical items, and inter-library loans.
* Recommends and oversees digitization projects, digital repositories, and accessibility to digital resources.
Please see application details here:
The application process will involve your thoughtful written responses to some questions intended to ascertain experience and suitability for this unique position.
Please forward this notice to any potential candidates for their consideration.
Application deadline is March 12, 2020.
Dean, Library & Learning Center Services
National Defense University
Fort McNair, Washington, DC 20319-5062
Interim Chief, Access & Discovery Services
NATIONAL DEFENSE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
300 5TH AVE, SUITE 333B
FORT MCNAIR DC 20319-5066
kari.anderson at ndu.edu
More information about the Eril-l