[Eril-l] ProQuest and EBSCO limited-user e-books and download settings?

Daniel Michniewicz daniel.michniewicz at senecacollege.ca
Tue Dec 22 14:15:56 PST 2020

Hello ERIL-L and OCLS libraries (...apologies for cross-posting).

This question is for libraries that purchase limited-user perpetual access e-books (e.g. 1-User, 3-User, etc.) from ProQuest (Ebook Central) and/or EBSCO -- particularly for academic libraries whose faculty then discover the titles in your catalogue and now want to use them in or assign them to their classes (...with or without letting their friendly campus library staff know they are doing so...often without...).

In the current pandemic reality of online or hybrid classes, more and more faculty are looking for online resources and then scramble (back to us) when they find out the title they want to use we don't have in an Unlimited simultaneous-user format. If we can quickly get it as Unlimited, great. But if it is not available as such?...

We would like to know how other libraries have their default ProQuest and EBSCO settings set up:

Both vendors allow you to set user access permissions for such e-books to either not allow at all, or to time-limit, checkout-and-downloads of 1-user and 3-user titles. ProQuest also allows you to do that at an individual-title level (through their LibCentral platform). EBSCO does not allow this currently, but they've told me they're looking to implement this and other ECM platform changes for better granularity in June 2021. So with EBSCO, you can only disallow downloading of 1-User titles, but otherwise I believe the setting then applies to 3-User and Unlimited User (...phew!)

So:

  1.  Do you allow downloading of 1-User titles in EBSCO and/or ProQuest?
  2.  Do you allow downloading of 3-User titles in EBSCO and/or ProQuest?
  3.  For ProQuest:
     *   If you said yes to 1 above, what is the maximum number of days you allow downloading for a 1-User title?
     *   If you said yes to 2 above, what is the maximum number of days you allow downloading for a 3-User title?
  4.  For EBSCO:
     *   What is the maximum number of days you allow downloading for 1-User (if you said yes to 1 above), 3-User, and Unlimited-User perpetual access. If you said no to downloading of 1-User titles, then this maximum number would only apply to 3-User and Unlimited-User titles ...but to both of them (...phew, again!).

Knowing others' approach to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dan

--

Dan Michniewicz