[Eril-l] [EXT] Re: making cancellation decisions

Crawford, Laurel Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu
Mon Sep 30 12:45:39 PDT 2019

I agree with Joanna in using ILL copyright fee as a rough threshold, and with considering the potential audience size. Joanna's methods also do something I think is very important: considering both quantitative data and subjective input. Using a cost-per-use (CPU) threshold as a trigger for review is good, but I wouldn't want to use that as my only criterion for cancellation. I think professional expertise should be applied as well.

Another technique is to group the resources together so you're comparing similar things, since CPU isn't always comparable across item types. For example, we compare CPU of journals only to journals and databases only to databases-the poorest-performing outliers will reveal themselves. We also compare by broad discipline--STEM, social sciences, humanities, arts-to make the best apples-to-apples comparison.

Note: if you are a research (doctoral) institution, I think you should try to tolerate a higher CPU, since some of your materials will be very important, but niche and only used by a few researchers. If your budget is smaller and/or your institution is focused more on undergraduate study, I would lower my tolerance threshold and only continue subscribing to the highest-performing titles.

Laurel Sammonds Crawford, MLIS
Head of Collection Development
University of North Texas Libraries
laurel.crawford at unt.edu<mailto:laurel.crawford at unt.edu>