[Eril-l] vendor calls

Sandra Wong swongj at sfu.ca
Fri Nov 1 11:24:40 PDT 2019

I've had to ask a few sales reps to "cease and desist" when I learned that they had been contacting other librarians and faculty.  In Canada, I have anti-spam legislation that I can refer them to.  I rarely get cold phone calls...mostly emails - phone calls are rare.

Here are a few samples that I've sent back - not sure if US anti spam legislation is similar....I think Canada's is bit more strict - supposed to gain permission to receive and must include an opt-out option.

Example one:

It has come to my attention that several SFU library staff have been receiving daily emails from you regarding [your product].

We respectfully ask you to cease and desist from further marketing-like emails to SFU Library email addresses if they have not given you permission to receive such marketing notices.  Please see  Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation<http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/00287.html>

Should the library (on behalf of its users at SFU) be interested in pursuing this product, we will contact you.

Example two:

I would like to request that you cease emailing individuals and faculty at Simon Fraser University directly with these regular marketing messages unless they have provided express consent to such messages.

Without prior consent, these marketing messages are now in violation of Canada's new anti-spam legislation which came into effect on July 1, 2014.  Please see the information at the link below.

http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

Under new Canadian legislation, you must obtain consent as well as give recipients the ability to unsubscribe from such messages.

You can continue to send them to me at lib-ejdamin at sfu.ca<mailto:lib-ejdamin at sfu.ca>  because we have a formal business relationship since the library subscribes to this service and lib-ejadmin at sfu.c<mailto:lib-ejadmin at sfu.c>a is the main contact email address for the business relationship. Should we decide to forward the information along, we can make adjustments to the message to suit our environment, such as changing the links embedded in the message.

As for vendors who pressure faculty to apply pressure to the library to subscribe or buy - we tell the vendor that we consider such behaviour as unethical sales practice and tell faculty not to engage with them and to just direct them to the library, and then we deal with it.

Sandra.

Sandra Wong, Electronic Resources Librarian
Collections Management Office (on study leave until April 30, 2020)
Simon Fraser University Library
Email: swongj at sfu.ca

[1564682160340]

I respectfully acknowledge the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), q̓íc̓əy̓ (Katzie), and kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem) Nations and peoples on whose ancestral and unceded lands the three SFU Library branches are located.