[Eril-l] Appeal for support for some enhancement requests for ProQuest Ebook Central on PQ Ideas Exchange

Michelle Morgan mjmorgan at swin.edu.au
Wed May 15 17:07:09 PDT 2019

Hi Everyone
I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum through which to signal boost specific product enhancement requests; please let me know if not.
I recently voted for 4 existing ideas on the ProQuest Ideas Exchange site for Ebook Central and I also proposed another enhancement.
All of these enhancements pertain to the handling of titles acquired via DDA (Demand Driven Acquisition).
If your library has used Ebook Central to acquire books via DDA, perhaps some of these requests could be advantageous to you and you might consider voting for them?
In no particular order:

Customizable Purchase Hierarchy
We would like the ability to customize our autopurchase hierarchy, because our preference of Access Model does not match the Purchase Hierarchy for Ebook Central
Also, we require the ability to exclude select Access Models so they are never purchased.
http://ideas.proquest.com/forums/915001-ebook-central/suggestions/35687107-customizable-purchase-hierarchy

Add Price Limit for Extended Access Upgrades
We need a way to control the automatic Upgrade purchase via Extended Access if the cost over a specified amount.
http://ideas.proquest.com/forums/915001-ebook-central/suggestions/35687188-add-price-limit-for-extended-access-upgrades

Remove Non-Linear from current upgrade hierarchy; give it its own setting.
We have auto-upgrade enabled, with the expectation that a title will upgrade from one stable limited-user model to the next: 1u->3u->UU. Currently, NL is included in the auto-upgrade hierarchy: 1u->3u->NL->UU.
This is really inappropriate; NL is a very different sales model from the other three, since you can run out of uses. It's especially problematic if overuse of a 3u has triggered the upgrade - that indicates really heavy use, and really heavy use will run down an NL license very quickly - thus potentially replacing 3u access with no access at all. That's not an "upgrade".
NL is, however, fabulous at catching overflow from a limited-user model when a true UU isn't available. I'd like to see NL moved out of the main "auto-upgrade" and into its own optional setting, some kind of "auto-purchase" - if you can't upgrade along the stable-model pathway, and your limited-user model has seen X turnaways within Y time, and NL costs less than $Z, then buy an additional NL on top of your existing stable limited-user license.
Use case: In a class of 100+ students using the book as a primary textbook, we've found that a 3u+NL fakes unlimited-user access very well - but buying multiple NLs was a flat-out disaster, both for our budget and for the students discovering the end of an NL license.
http://ideas.proquest.com/forums/915001-ebook-central/suggestions/36926605-remove-non-linear-from-current-upgrade-hierarchy

Reference to purchased titles in mediated extended access process
For the extended access at 1U and 3U we would like to use the mediated process, but here the user is not informed that the title is actually already purchased and therefore moderated.
We would like to refer to the purchased/owned title before or during the moderating request.
http://ideas.proquest.com/forums/915001-ebook-central/suggestions/37296586-reference-to-purchased-titles-in-mediated-extened

Allow for greater interplay between price and number of additional copies in Extended Access
We would like to be able to control the number of additional copies purchased relative to the price of the title. If we have a price cap of $500 on the purchase of additional copies and the purchase of an additional copy falls well beneath that price cap, we would like the opportunity to increase the limit on the number of additional copies purchased.
http://ideas.proquest.com/forums/915001-ebook-central/suggestions/37649497-allow-for-greater-interplay-between-price-and-numb

The address for the ProQuest Ideas Exchange is here:
https://ideas.proquest.com/

Thank you all for your consideration.

Kind regards
Michelle

Michelle Morgan | Library Resources Analyst, Service Delivery
Student Administration and Library Services
Swinburne University of Technology
Building LB700, 60 William St, Hawthorn

Tel: +61 3 9214 3775
Email: mjmorgan at swin.edu.au<mailto:mjmorgan at swin.edu.au>
[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image002.gif at 01CF0E18.6739A9F0]<http://bit.ly/aCIEjF>  [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image003.gif at 01CF0E18.6739A9F0] <http://bit.ly/2Okt9n>   [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image004.gif at 01CF0E18.6739A9F0] <http://bit.ly/nzeYG>   [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image005.gif at 01CF0E18.6739A9F0] <http://bit.ly/2A05W1>   [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image006.gif at 01CF0E18.6739A9F0] <http://bit.ly/13YBCAE>
[cid:image004.jpg at 01D37286.10BF1A20]
CRICOS Provider 00111D