[Eril-l] Job Posting--Research and Instruction Librarian

Laura Vogler Voglerl at wabash.edu
Tue Jul 9 11:55:02 PDT 2019

Research and Instruction Librarian @ Wabash College (Crawfordsville, IN)
Position Summary
Lilly Library at Wabash College seeks an innovative and dynamic Research and Instruction Librarian.  Reporting to the Library Director, the successful candidate will build close relationships with students, faculty, and staff to support teaching, learning and research at Wabash College.  Librarians are part of the teaching community at Wabash-providing both information literacy instruction as well as occasional teaching in the classroom.  The successful candidate should be enthusiastically committed to teach undergraduates in a liberal arts setting with a diverse student body.   This is a full-time, 12-month position with associated faculty status<https://www.wabash.edu/hr/docs/Faculty_Handbook1.pdf>.  Rank and salary are dependent upon qualifications and experience.

About Lilly Library

Built in 1959, Lilly Library was renovated and expanded in 1992.  We look forward to a major renovation of the library in the summer of 2020.  Our small staff functions as a team to provide exceptional service to the Wabash community.  Our library provides a place for research, learning, and reflection as well as collaboration in a warm and inviting setting.  The library serves as the hub for research, writing, and media services; the repository to browse and discover books and media; the online access point for digital resources; and the starting point for partnerships with faculty in teaching information literacy and building the library collection.

About Wabash College

Wabash College is a private, independent, residential four-year liberal arts college for men. Our 65-acre wooded campus is located 50 miles west of Indianapolis and three hours from Chicago.  In addition to the amenities these cities offer, we are near some of the best outdoor opportunities in the state.  Founded in 1832, Wabash's special strength lies with a faculty dedicated to teaching undergraduate students in 25 majors.  Over 40% of our tenure-track faculty are women. We offer an excellent liberal arts college education to a student body that has a high percentage of first-generation college students. We have a very exciting initiative for the retention of traditionally under-served populations<https://www.wabash.edu/news/displaystory.cfm?news_ID=11181> in higher education.

As of September 30, 2018, the value of Wabash's endowment was approximately $333 million, which places Wabash among the highest colleges in the nation in per-student endowment.  Wabash College has a long tradition of offering one of the most generous scholarship programs<https://www.wabash.edu/admissions/finances/sources> in the country.  A majority of Wabash students enter graduate or professional school within five years of graduating from Wabash. Each year, approximately 25-30 percent of Wabash graduates enroll in graduate and professional schools, including 8-10 percent in medical and law schools and about 20 percent in other graduate arts and sciences programs.

Primary Responsibilities

  *   Collaborate with faculty to integrate information literacy skills into the curriculum
  *   Develop, design, and teach course-integrated library instruction sessions
  *   Provide leadership on digital initiatives (e.g., electronic textbooks)
  *   Promote awareness of our resources and services by contributing to the library website
  *   Cultivate strong working relationships across the campus to promote library resources
  *   Serve as liaison to either the Science or Social Science Division of the College

*         Contribute to ongoing assessment of library collections, policies, and services

  *   Serve on campus committees (e.g., Wabash Student Celebration<https://www.wabash.edu/ugresearch/celebration>)
  *   Participate in related professional development activities (e.g., PALNI RIO<http://www.palni.org/sp_faq/rio-reference-instruction-and-outreach-advisory-group/>)

Required Qualifications

  *   Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library program
  *   At least one year of reference and instruction experience in an academic library (may include service as a graduate student or intern)
  *   Commitment to excellence in the teaching of undergraduate students
  *   Outstanding presentation, written, and verbal communication skills
  *   Knowledge and experience with digital technologies
  *   Proficiency using standard office software and library online tools
  *   Strong organizational and project management skills
  *   Ability to work effectively in a collegial environment

Application Process
To be considered for an interview, please submit:  letter of application, curriculum vita, contact information for three references, undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and a statement of service and teaching philosophy.  Review of applications will begin on July 29, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.  Position is available August 15, 2019; start date is negotiable.  Apply online at the Wabash employment site<http://www.wabash.edu/employment/>.  Contact  Jeffrey Beck<mailto:beckj at wabash.edu>, Library Director, for additional information.  We provide generous benefits plus robust research and travel funding for faculty development.

Wabash, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership in a diverse, multicultural world.  Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds. EOE

Laura Vogler
Associate Library Director
Collection Services
Wabash College Library