[Eril-l] Dummy Collection being recommended by OCLC support staff for mis-matched View Now links

J Siemon jsiemon2002 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:00:31 PST 2019

OCLC Product Analyst Sarah Finch responded in the OCLC Community Center:

Thank you for bringing up this concern and for sharing your interest in
cooperative solutions for libraries. Please continue to share, but I wanted
to note:

More mismatches occurred prior to March 2018 when we refined material type
requirements for matching. For example, it used to happen more often that
an Ebook link would appear on a DVD record or an Audio link would appear on
an Ebook record. Libraries sometimes fixed those mismatches by creating
dummy collections and adding titles to force a correct match or to break a
mismatch to remove a link. There is less of a need for dummy collections
today.

I will make sure that OCLC support staff have current information on this
topic.

There is a new page that brings together a couple of the links Jeff shared:

 "Mismatched records and best practices for cooperative edits"
https://help.oclc.org/Metadata_Services/WorldShare_Collection_Manager/Choose_your_Collection_Manager_workflow/Knowledge_base_collections/Maintain_your_knowledge_base_collections/Mismatched_records_and_best_practices_for_cooperative_edits