[Eril-l] MS Stream?

Daniel Michniewicz daniel.michniewicz at senecacollege.ca
Fri Jan 18 12:17:41 PST 2019

Hello all.

Have any of your libraries, colleges, or universities adopted Microsoft Stream for videostreaming?

We are thinking of replacing our in-house platform -- developed by our college's IT department some years ago, but which no longer meets our needs (e.g. doesn't work on Apple devices nor on mobile devices generally, not up to accessibility standards, etc.) -- with MS Stream, a cloud-based platform (https://products.office.com/en-us/microsoft-stream).

One issue is that while it would be fine for college-produced/self-produced videos, we (the library at the college) also license a number of video titles with third-party video distributors. Some of those vendors' licences specify things like, "Licensee may stream the Program from Licensee's owned server via user name and password-protected intranet only" (the 'Licensee's owned server' bit seems like a 'no' then to MS Stream), or, "Hosting to be done by the college itself - not by any other 3rd party" (Is MS Stream considered a '3rd party' or merely the software we are using in-house?). Yes, we recognize we will have to have this discussion with each vendor, and that they may likely want us to use their own platform (something we already do in some cases but which means for our users/patrons multiple platforms, multiple access points and maintenance, etc.).

If you're already using MS Stream or any other cloud-based system for videos, how did you broach this topic with your film vendors ... if at all?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Contact me off-list (below) if you like.

Thanks.

Dan

--

Dan Michniewicz