[Eril-l] Pervasive problems discovered in Springer Nature LYRASIS 2019 database

Smith, Martha Shears smithms at winthrop.edu
Thu Aug 29 13:38:30 PDT 2019

Nancy, we’ve got a new package with Springer thorough the Carolina Consortium, and the knowledge base collection in OCLC’s Collection Manager is rife with errors.  Hundreds of titles in our package are missing.  We initially reported a list of over 700.  After some time, many were fixed but there are still over 200 not included in the knowledge base collection.  Previous titles are not listed separately, and coverage dates are sometimes incorrect.  The collection is non-customizable, so making changes is a challenge.  Springer has been unresponsive.  We started submitting some changes to the Global Collection, and most seem to have gone through.  However this takes time, and I’m not clear if the changes will hold if Springer does submit a update.  It’s been very frustrating!

Martha Smith
Acquisitions & Collection Librarian
Ida Jane Dacus Library
Winthrop University