[Eril-l] Google Scholar - direct links outside our IP address range

Bob Pearson b.pearson at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 1 19:30:38 PDT 2019

When we access Google Scholar (GS) from outside our IP address range, we seem to get direct links only to open-access articles. (When the user has our institution set up in GS's "Library links", they also get links to our OpenURL resolver.)

I don't remember this always being the situation. I thought users got direct links to all copies of articles, even when the full text was paywalled and they wouldn't get access.

1. Is this something that would have changed when we joined "Library links", i.e. when our holdings and IP addresses were sent to Google?
2. Or did Google make a change at some point that affected users outside all the institutional IP ranges that GS knows about?
3. Or am I just misremembering?

Bob Pearson
Digital Access Librarian
The University of Auckland Library