[Eril-l] Counter R5 and CPU

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Tue Apr 30 05:08:03 PDT 2019

As with COUNTER 4, that's not an obvious answer for everyone and every
situation.
First, separate out books, journals, and other media because the answers
may be different for each.

For journals that you accrue perpetual access rights for, you may want to
take into account the YOP (year of publication) and calculate the cost per
use only of the most recent year, or some recent years, or otherwise just
the years tied to your paid subscription.
You almost certainly want to start using the "unique" rather than "total"
requests but understand that you're going to see a drop, larger for some
vendors than others because of quirks in their platform design, over the R4
data, when using the "unique" data.

For books, you need to think about whether use of individual chapters is
relevant or the entire book. Probably most books you want the unique title
requests. However, for reference books,  a single user who uses multiple
entries in a single session perhaps should count multiple times - that's up
to your philosophy about licensing reference sources. In that case, you
would want to look at "total item requests" rather than just "unique" ones.

For products that are a mix of a lot of indexing with a lot but not 100%
full text, like the EBSCO Academic Search series, you may also want to
think about how to factor "investigations" counts into your "cost per use"
decision. "Requests" only apply to full text. When your patrons view
non-full text indexing records/abstracts, those count as "investigations"
(for which there are also total and unique counts).  Looking at an abstract
may not be "worth as much" as getting a full text article, but presumably
it has some value that contributes towards the price you pay.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca  902-566-0581