[Eril-l] open source software for hosting ejournals with ip authentication

Trisha Burr tburr at macalester.edu
Mon Apr 29 11:30:44 PDT 2019

I just received this notice from GeoScienceWorld also and have absolutely
no idea what to do with this content.

Does this happen often? I feel like GSW should be tasked with finding a
better solution.

If anyone figures out what to do with this content, I'd love to know!
Thanks,
Trisha

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 9:53 AM Melissa Belvadi <mbelvadi at upei.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know of any open source software that can provide the
> following hosting services for PDF content?
> 1. Provide IP authentication for multiple customers, with different lists
> of which content they are entitled to
> 2. Provide some kind of usage reporting, preferably COUNTER compliant or
> at least similar
> 3. Provide some kind of persistent linking, ideally openurl compliant but
> doesn't have to be
>
> The context is that GeoScienceWorld has just told all of our consortial
> subscribers that they are unable to host certain journal backfile anymore,
> and is giving it to the institutions as PDFs. Many of our smaller members
> have no idea what to do with this pile of PDFs and we're looking at whether
> one of the techier univs in our consortium could take on hosting it for the
> entire group.
> Different members have different ranges of entitlement years on the titles.
> We wouldn't need a search platform, as we'd all just be making links to
> the "full text" from various other places.
>
> Our immediate need is journals, but it would be great if it could handle
> ebooks too.
> This isn't a Portico/LOCKSS dark-to-light situation, because the content
> is still owned and locked up by another publisher, but it's just the GSW
> customers who have the problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Melissa Belvadi
> Collections Librarian
> University of Prince Edward Island
> mbelvadi at upei.ca  902-566-0581
> my public calendar
> <http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mbelvadi%40upei.ca&ctz=America/Halifax&mode=week>
> Make an appointment <https://mbelvadi.youcanbook.me/> via YouCanBookMe

Trisha Burr

Electronic Resources Librarian

DeWitt Wallace Library

651-696-6749 | tburr at macalester.edu

1600 Grand Avenue

Saint Paul, MN 55105 USA

[image: mac-sec-horizontal-logo-150w.jpg]