[Eril-l] Registration Reminder: 2019 Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge

Kim Maxwell kmaxwell at mit.edu
Mon Apr 8 14:04:51 PDT 2019

**** Cross-posted to multiple lists; please excuse any duplication. ****

The Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge

Saturday May 18 - Tuesday May 21, 2019; Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood, Oregon

REGISTRATION IS OPEN<http://acquisitionsinstitute.org/the-acquisitions-institute/registration/>

We're so excited to share our 2019 Program<http://acquisitionsinstitute.org/2019-program/> with you! We had what we think is a record number of proposals this year and from them have chosen a program we hope will both educate and inspire you. From a panel discussion between librarians and publishers on diversity, inclusion and equity in scholarly publishing and acquisitions, to the triumphs and tribulations of leading workplace culture change, to deciphering and visualizing data, there's a little something for everyone. Check out the program page for much more!

We are really excited about our keynote speaker this year Alexia Hudson-Ward, who is the Azariah Smith Root Director of Libraries for Oberlin College and Conservatory. Her talk is titled "Our precipice moment is here: Positioning our acquisitions for critical illumination within the higher education landscape." As the higher education sector faces some of its toughest challenges in more than a century, academic libraries (and our acquisitions supposition) are at a choice point. Continue with the status quo and hope for better days to come (optimistic but unlikely!) or embrace this precipice moment. We are faced with an unique opportunity to drive new strategies that ensure our acquisitions are firmly positioned for educational and pedagogical illumination.

About The Acquisitions Institute

Since 2000, we are the pre-eminent conference located in Western North America on acquisitions and collection development, held at Timberline Lodge. We are a small, informal and stimulating gathering in a convivial and glorious Pacific Northwest setting, focused on the methods and innovation of building and managing library collections. Timberline Lodge is located on the slope of Mt. Hood, about an hour east of Portland, Oregon. Read more about us at http://www.acquisitionsinstitute.org, or contact us at planning at acquisitionsinstitute.org<mailto:planning at acquisitionsinstitute.org>.

About Timberline Lodge

The Timberline Lodge conference facility offers a relaxed atmosphere for librarians, vendors, and publishers to discuss issues of concern. Plan to come and listen to one another in this small conference (enrollment is limited to 85) with its rustic resort setting and the finest of people and conversations. Presenters are encouraged to engage the audience and there are plenty of opportunities for informal discussion outside the scheduled program. Plan to enjoy the good food, the beautiful mountain scenery, snow sports and swimming, and favorite readings. Explore the Timberline Lodge<http://www.timberlinelodge.com/> website for a sense of the historic character of the lodge. We have reserved the entire suite of rooms for the Institute.

The Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge Planning Committee is

Damon Campbell, University of Oregon;

Lindsay Cronk, University of Rochester;

Kristina DeShazo, Oregon Health & Science University;

Jamie Hazlitt, Loyola Marymount University;

Kerri Goergen-Doll, Oregon State University;

Kim Maxwell, MIT; and

Nancy Slight-Gibney, Retired.