[Eril-l] FW: Kanopy vs. campus streaming?

Huber, Sara H. sarai at ou.edu
Fri Oct 26 12:18:44 PDT 2018

We've also seen a huge increase in our spending for Kanopy. A big issue for us, as Theresa mentioned, was that we already had access to many of the titles being triggered (AVON, DVDs, etc,). At times, it caused us to be charged anywhere from $1500-$2500 a month for duplicated titles. We reached out to Kanopy to see if something could be done to address this and they have a de-duplication policy that we were unaware of - if you claim any titles that you have elsewhere with a screenshot or permalink from your catalog within two weeks of your invoice, they will verify and then refund the cost of that film. It made a big difference for us on our monthly invoices and allowed us to keep PDA going about a month longer than we would have been able to otherwise based on our planned budget. We switched to the mediated model on Oct. 1st and so far faculty/students have been very understanding and Kanopy has been extremely fast in providing access to titles as we purchase them. One complaint we have gotten several times from faculty since starting the mediation model is that they got used to being able to preview titles in the PDA model before using it in their class. There are no previews with mediation and they want to be able to preview a film to make sure it would work for their class before we purchase it. It would be nice if this was something that Kanopy could address.

Sara Huber
Acquisitions Librarian
University of Oklahoma Libraries
sarai at ou.edu<mailto:sarai at ou.edu>