[Eril-l] thoughts about unsustainability of EBAs

Matthew J. Gallagher ma.gallagher at usciences.edu
Mon Mar 12 06:59:01 PDT 2018

Hi Melissa,
Not exactly what you’re asking below, but we are in our first year of EBAs and I have given some thought to what you pose below. In both of our programs, we are getting 2014-2017 content, and I imagine we’ll get 2015-2018 content next year.
To avoid the scenario you describe below, if my assumption holds true, my plan is to purchase the most-used titles from the 2014 collections rather than go strictly on usage. Of course, if some of the most used titles are from 2015-2017 are no longer included in the EBA, they’ll merit consideration as well.  A bunch of if’s, but that is my strategy as of right now. Hopefully, this tactic keeps the EBAs sustainable and we can use the accumulated usage over the course of years to determine how well materials are aging when making selection decisions down the road.
Best,
Matt Gallagher
Assistant Professor, Information Science
Collection Management & Metadata Librarian
University of the Sciences
600 S. 43rd St., Philadelphia, PA 19104