[Eril-l] ProQuest "simplification program"?

Phillip Hewitt pjh315 at lehigh.edu
Fri Mar 9 10:08:55 PST 2018

Hi All,

I discussed the database usage data aspect of this with a ProQuest
representative today. Particularly, possible issues number 2 and 3 below.

I'll email the contact #1 below. If you have additional potential issues
that you would like me to forward, please let me know.

1. Searches vs. cross-, federated, and automated
a. ProQuest doesn't provide data for, or doesn't consider Platform-level
searching of multiple databases, "searches - federated and automated"
i. (conservative) this might be somewhat practical, if they are trying to
"reserve" that line item for discovery layers
ii. I wonder if this is addressed in COUNTER R5
b. ProQuest does provides a non-COUNTER compliant report that captures
cross-searches by month, but only of ALL databases

2. Simplification program - how to determine usage for a database that has
been "rolled up" into a larger database
a. for some databases, the database may be a sub-database in the new
"simplification" hierarchy
b. for some databases, there is not a sub-database entry in the hierarchy
c. this seems to affect calendar year (cy) 2017 and calendar year 2018

3. Unverified - legacy-CSA database quirks
a. for cy2017, and possibly prior, there is a quirk - at least some of the
legacy CSA databases (e.g. Illumina Technology Records) show as a title in
the non-COUNTER "Document Usage by Database/Title," and seem to show more
abstract/citation hits than the total for DB1 reports for the ProQuest
database in question.
b. This leads to the question: "Why?" ProQuest is looking into it.

Hope this helps and, again, feel free to send other database usage report
issues in a somewhat detailed manner and I will forward, if appropriate.

Best,
Phil

Best,

Phil Hewitt
*Senior Engineering and Electronic Collections Librarian*
(610) 758-3068
LU Engineering LibraryGuides <https://goo.gl/XePVjn>