[Eril-l] ACRL Technical Services Interest Group at ALA Annual in New Orleans

Erin Finnerty erinf at temple.edu
Tue Jun 5 11:03:19 PDT 2018

 The ACRL Technical Services Interest Group will meet in New Orleans
on *Sunday,
June 24th from 4-5:00 p.m. in MCC Room 297*. We will have two presentations
followed by a brief business meeting.

*Even You Can Afford Affordable Learning! : Grace Under the Pressure of
OERs*
Open Education Resources (OERs) are an important component of affordable
learning initiatives in education. Our university and state-wide consortium
embraced a variety of affordable learning initiatives and joined the Open
Textbook Network (OTN). Meanwhile Technical Services (which includes
Collections) has faced pressure to collect, vet, and process sets of OERs
quickly. As our colleagues are pushing for the adoption of OERs across
campus, we had to find a way to process and load the records while still
facing pressure to get them in the catalog as soon as possible. These
e-book records will be showcased more than many of our other records. They
will be highlighted in train the trainer workshops across the campus and
state through OTN training and by our Design and Development team, so they
must be easily discoverable and accessible for gathering and sharing across
varying constituencies. This presentation will describe how we cope with
the pressures of OERs on Technical Services by shifting workflows to
prioritize OERs and creating procedures that take into consideration our
local and consortial needs and practices.
Mike Monaco; Coordinator, Cataloging Services,  mmonaco at uakron.edu ; and
Melanie McGurr; Associate Professor of Bibliography, Head, Electronic
Services, Mmcgurr1 at uakron.edu, Bierce Library, University of Akron

*Rethinking Technical Services Job Duties; a Case Study from Sacramento
State University Library*
The Collection Management Services Department at Sacramento State
University Library consisted of a number of smaller units that, over time,
merged into one larger unit with the most recent merge occurring in early
2017. Concurrently, the University Library was transitioning to a
consortial, twenty-three campus implementation of the library management
system Alma, which presented an opportunity to rethink faculty and staff
roles in light of a new, shared system. This presentation will detail the
process and planning behind developing new areas of competency in
collection assessment and visualization, cross training across the
department to shift workload, as well as building collegiality by group
participation in workflow analysis.
 Amy Kautzman, Dean & Director of the University Library, kautzman at csus.edu;
Suzanna Conrad, Interim Associate Dean for Collection Management & Systems,
suzanna.conrad at csus.edu ; Sacramento State University

Erin Finnerty, Incoming Chair ACRL TSIG
Electronic Resources Librarian
Temple University Libraries