[Eril-l] faculty survey of non-your institutional scholarly resource use?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Jul 13 04:52:29 PDT 2018

Hi,
We're a small university whose faculty often come from much larger
institutions with more subscription resources than we can afford, and they
often find ways to maintain accounts with those other schools.

I'm planning an internal faculty survey to try to get a sense of how often,
and for which resources, our faculty are using either other institutional
credentials, or other resources like SciHub and ResearchGate, to access
databases or full text materials that we may or may not have licensed here.

My aim is to find out both where our own usage data may be an undercount,
and also identify gaps that we should be trying to get specific new funding
to address.

Some of the questions are going to be hard to word, particularly if the
faculty perceive that we're asking about behavior that may have
questionable legality. It's going to be anonymous, but even so, I'm
concerned about response rate and accuracy.

If any of you have done something like this at your own institution, I
would appreciate your sharing a bit of your experience as well as the
wording of your survey questions.

Thank you!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian