[Eril-l] Authentication "Nightmare" Scenarios

Hinchliffe, Lisa W ljanicke at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 26 09:49:35 PST 2018

Hello. There have been a few different posts to the listserv about different authentication "nightmare" scenarios - e.g., the most recent where LexisNexis can only be used through IP (at an institution without a proxy server) or personal account.

I've been writing and speaking about these issues, primarily from a privacy angle but also user experience, for awhile. My most recent piece "What Will You Do When They Come for Your Proxy Server?" (https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2018/01/16/what-will-you-do-when-they-come-for-your-proxy-server-ra21/) examined the implications of RA21 for IP authentication. Here's another on how personal accounts on the Elsevier platform block users from getting to library pathways for content (https://lisahinchliffe.com/2017/12/21/logout-of-your-elsevier-account-to-get-library-access/).

I'm anticipating doing additional essays on this topic. If you have any experiences you are willing to share, especially where vendor policy on authentication leaves "gaps" in who in our library user communities are able to access the resources we license for them (in other words, we are paying for access users can't use!), I would love to hear from you. Either on list if you are comfortable or via private email (lisalibrarian at gmail.com).

Thanks!
Lisa

--
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/ Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction