[Eril-l] On campus proxy question

Emily Judith Ray ejray at ualr.edu
Fri Feb 16 11:07:59 PST 2018

Hi Alisha,

We started requiring users to authenticate on campus this January, at the
start of spring semester, so about a week ago. Library administration
wanted data tied to users ID to provide for the upcoming university
accreditation. I was not part of that decision.

We first tried removing IP ranges given to vendors, that didn't work very
well. I think some databases were still recognizing users on campus through
cookies.

We next changed the network security level for all patron types. (We use
the iii WAM proxy server) That has been effective in requiring users to
authenticate on campus so far.  Although if someone has bookmarked a link,
and they're on campus- it will recognize them by IP range and they won't
have to authenticate.

As for our issues with this, we're realizing that our proxy is applied
inconsistently to some journal content in EBSCO holdings management, so
we've been making some tweaks with that.

I've been surprised by the relatively small number of questions I've gotten
about this change. Although it's possible all of those questions haven't
reached me, and that it's only February.  We have a lot of online students-
they might be primarily accessing e-resources off campus, so this hasn't
been a big change for them?

Emily

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:11 AM, Elizabeth Henry <
elizabeth.henry at gallaudet.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Alisha, if I may, I'd like to add a question to your question.  If you do
> force proxy login on-campus, may I ask why you choose to do so?
>
> Thanks,
> Elizabeth Henry
>

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Quagliana, Alisha L <
> a.quagliana at austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi all-
>>

>> I’m curious how many folks force proxy login for their on campus users.
>> If you do how long have you been doing it and what issues came up when you
>> made the change?
>>

>> Thanks-
>>
>> Alisha
>>

>> *Alisha Quagliana*
>>
>> Discovery Services Librarian
>>
>> The University of Texas at Austin  | UT Libraries
>>
>> 512.495.4660 <(512)%20495-4660>  |  alishaq at austin.utexas.edu
>> <alishaq at austin.utexas.edua>

> --
> Elizabeth Henry
> Instruction and Reference/E-Resources Librarian
> Gallaudet University Library
> Merrill Learning Center, room 1302
> 800 Florida Ave, NE
> Washington, D.C. 20002
> 202-250-2855 <(202)%20250-2855>
> elizabeth.henry at gallaudet.edu

Emily Ray

Metadata and Discovery Services Librarian 501-683-1744
Collections and Archives / Technology and Digital Initiatives
University of Arkansas at Little Rock