[Eril-l] OCLC collection missing Sept 2018 titles from Oxford Scholarship Online

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Dec 21 07:19:46 PST 2018

Thank you for raising (perhaps again) this point - I hope it doesn't get
lost in your rather specific subject line.

I've just been struggling with trying to analyze certain major vendor ebook
subscription collections via the marc records they've provided us, and I am
absolutely horrified at the poor quality of some key metadata they are
providing, such basic stuff as pubdate and publisher name.

MARC/AACR/RDA standards are written so loosely to accommodate individual
librarian/library preferences for individual books, and I think content
providers are taking advantage of such flexibility to give us metadata that
makes it extremely difficult to manage large sets of records/holdings.

ISO is in the middle of doing a major revision of their standard for
"Information and documentation -- Presentation and identification of
periodicals"
https://www.iso.org/standard/67723.html
part of their Information and Documentation series:
https://www.iso.org/ics/01.140.40/x/

I think we need to develop a standard or at least "recommended practice"
for ebooks, with comparable detail and requirements for consistency of
metadata.
In the NASIG "Standards" group, we're just beginning a discussion about
ebook metadata, initially focused on just the problems of ISBNs, but Jeff's
post makes me think we should look more broadly at ebook metadata and go
beyond individual cataloguing rules and consider special rules about
consistency within collections.
If anyone knows of any work already being done on such standards/rules,
please let us know.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island