[Eril-l] open source/cc license for student course software for library?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Wed Dec 19 06:09:04 PST 2018

Hi,

We have a capstone computer science class here which has student groups
writing original software for us - three different groups doing three
different projects.
My plan is that if they are able to complete the specs, we'll release them
to the entire world as open source - I think at least two will be of
interest to some of you.

But what I need is help coming up with an appropriate legal license to have
the students sign so that there's no question that we can release that code.
Shockingly, my university has never developed a boilerplate license for
this purpose, and without it, the students of course retain full copyright
control over this code, because it is coursework, not work for hire (we
aren't paying them - they're getting course credit).

I'm hoping one or more of you have faced this situation and can share with
me the license text that you/your institution developed to have students
sign to either transfer ownership to the university or else, better, to
offer some kind of open source license.

I've looked at samples from Open Source Institute and GNU Foundation, and
they seem overly complicated and not a good fit for student code.  But if
your institution has adopted one of those for this circumstance, please
tell me.

Thank you!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian