[Eril-l] Electronic resources collection development policy

Jill Emery jill.emery at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:44:44 PDT 2018

Hi All,

Some institutions are moving away from set collection development policies
to more collection development priorities or philosophies in order to make
decision-making more timely for new models of content. In this regard, I
recommend looking at the Orbis Cascade Alliance Best Practices for
collection development document linked here:
https://www.orbiscascade.org/shared-content-program
as well as the University of Washington Libraries Collection & Access
Priorities noted here:
http://www.lib.washington.edu/about/strategicplan/2014/directions/collections-access

Along similar lines, some institutions such as Yale have a broad collection
philosophy but then also chosen to go with collection statements for
various subject areas:
https://web.library.yale.edu/policy/collection-development-statements

By re-focusing a "policy" into a "priority" or "philosophy" academic
librarians have more flexibility to respond to changing needs and develop
models of collection access that better align with campus strategic plans.
Priorities and philosophies can generally be changed or tweaked quicker
than policies can in many institutions.

Jill